• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

GTX 980 thoughts

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
You'd be paying about $300 out of pocket after you sold the 780. I don't know if it's worth it.

If you're really interested in it, if start another thread to get a few different perspectives. :thup:

When I applied 16xQ CSAA and 8xSSAA (transparency) Doom3 and Quake 4 suffered really bad FPS drops until I maxed out the memory
overclock to 1750Mhz on my GTX 780. When I look at Zotac's Firestorm overclocking utility the memory controller loads get maxed out in both games when running these kinds of AA sampling. This at 1600x1200 resolution and the difference is noticeable, text that was formerly undecipherable became readable.

8x at 1440p looks almost perfect. i use the level in tomb raider with all of the zip lines to gauge it. lots of thin curving lines all over the place is the best way to tell as well as chain link fences.

When I applied 16xQ CSAA and 8xSSAA (transparency) Doom3 and Quake 4 suffered really bad FPS drops until I maxed out the memory
overclock to 1750Mhz on my GTX 780. When I look at Zotac's Firestorm overclocking utility the memory controller loads get maxed out in both games when running these kinds of AA sampling. This at 1600x1200 resolution and the difference is noticeable, text that was formerly undecipherable became readable.

I could see it making more of a difference at lower resolutions (like 1600x1200). At 1440P, the pixel density makes the angles from diagonal lines much less noticeable.

Well I have been looking at the cards but fired up crisis 3 at 2560x1600 very high with txaa on and got low 50 fps out of my 670 SLI...so cant really see the need yet.

crysis3 2014-09-22 14-59-00-10.jpg

That's not a very demanding area. Play in the hydro dam in the bottom. Where there's a hybrid of city and trees.

Well it stays there pretty much all the time.. whats the level name there?
I believe it's root of all evil. It starts at the top of the hydro dam than prophet falls through the elevator and you end up in this area . It's the most demanding part of the game.

Sure, when you are running extremely high AND two types of AA perhaps things gets loaded down.. but those settings are curious at best. Odd how textbecomes readable when all AA does is remove aliasing.

Last edited:
I believe it's root of all evil. It starts at the top of the hydro dam than prophet falls through the elevator and you end up in this area . It's the most demanding part of the game.
http://m.ign.com/wikis/crysis-3/Root_of_All_Evil

Bit of a hit as you say, heres a good spot to stand and get a panoramic view, 43 fps. same at the helicopter landing zone.

this new forum is different resizes the pics for you? taken at 2560x1600.

Settings are maxed, except AA is TXAA, for me, its a best combo of fps and AA almost no hit. and wires look non jaggy.

Would be interested in what a single 980 is hitting at that spot, with same res and settings.

crysis3 2014-09-23 01-48-58-77.jpg

Yes . I really believe they could better optimize their games for pc . The hardware we have is strong . Very strong. Console ports ..

Bit of a hit as you say, heres a good spot to stand and get a panoramic view, 43 fps. same at the helicopter landing zone.

this new forum is different resizes the pics for you? taken at 2560x1600.

Settings are maxed, except AA is TXAA, for me, its a best combo of fps and AA almost no hit. and wires look non jaggy.

Would be interested in what a single 980 is hitting at that spot, with same res and settings.

View attachment 154193
Are you capping out your vram with those settings

Back