• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

GTX 980 thoughts

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mikesamo

What do you folks think of the upcoming 980 . I see the 680 scenario happening all over again. Also from the specs I've seen it has 256 bit at 4g which worries me . Also the bandwidth speed seems slower compared to the 780/780ti . More rop yes but the memory specs really worry me

It looks more of a sidestep from the TI and others are saying it replaces the non-TI model, so that might mean that there could be a higher end model released at a later date.

I'm not too bothered by the bus width as long as it performs in games, I'm still gaming at 1200p. I'm looking to upgrade at some point but may wait to see what AMD will respond with, as well as for a decent non-reference design.

Results on GTX980 look about like GTX780Ti while price supposed to be lower. It can be a good card but really it looks like with GTX680 when nvidia started to sell cheaper chips as their top series. I expect to see something like GTX980Ti with wider bus but about 3-5 months after GTX980 premiere.

Do you really think that 256 bit will fully be able to utilize the 4 gigs of ram . Talking about 1440p with lots of AA and ultra textures. Which is what I'm aiming for

As I mentioned in another thread, I wouldn't worry about 256bit bus choking until 3x 1080 monitors, or 4K resolutions (moreso on the 4K). 256bit and 4GB is plenty for 2560x1440.

Last edited:
Ah yes . Just wanted to confirm. I read somewhere that each gig requires 128bit to be fully utilize. Meaning 2gb 256 and 3 384
Now this was only a thread so I can't say it's reliable

I am excited for the new cards, probably going to get a 970 when Gigabyte releases their custom version. I wonder if my i7-2600k will be my system bottleneck.

NVIDIA-GeForce-GTX-980-and-GeForce-GTX-970-3DMark-Firestrike-Performance-635x599.png

I think I'll be waiting for next gen.

The 980 is seemingly NOT the high end card gents... It has been this way on launch for a couple of generations now. :)

I'm sure msrp will reflect that ;)

Launch price if I remember correctly is supposed to be around $500 for the 980 according to the rumors, all things considered that's not horrible at all.

I'm saying its not the best performer of the new series. Typically both AMD and NVIDIA release mid-range cards first, then their high end. Also generally speaking, the mid-range of the latest gen is in the ballpark of the last gen's high end.

Ed what do you mean by the 980 not being high end . Isn't. Future proof wise ?

I think he meant that even though most people will probably expect the 980 to be nvidia's "flagship" GPU, it isn't (at least from the chart we have) going to be their top-performer. The 780Ti will hold that honor until the inevitable 980Ti launch.

EDIT: ^^ Yea, what he said ;)

This is not bad deal, but will hold out for a flagship part

I will pick up one of these used in a year or two for pennies on the dollar :)

So it's basically the 680 scenario allover again. If that's the case may be its worth waiting for a gtx 1080 or 1180

Maybe I wasn't clear... THIS IS NORMAL. :)

The 980ti (or whatever the name is... its ALL rumors at this point) should easily best the 780ti and use less/same amount of power in doing so.

I'm wondering what will happen to the 290X prices. They can be had for $500 now and (if the 980GTX performance relative to a 780Ti depicted above is accurate) should be just about dead even with (or a little ahead of) the 980. I could see AMD going all the way down to $400-450 to stay ahead.

Back