• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

GTX 980 thoughts

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
i'm not convinced any games need over 2gb vram. i may just get another 780 dcuII oc for cheap and sli. the whole 6gb thing for shadow of mordor reeks of bs concocted by vga shills. bf4 at 1440p on ultra sits around 2gb if i remember right.

I lied. about 60 players in tdm sat at about 2550gb vram usage. i may almost be time for 4gb lol.

I lied. about 60 players in tdm sat at about 2550gb vram usage. i may almost be time for 4gb lol.

Yup. Even at 1080p, I think BF4 will go over 2. And that's with DX11. Using Mantle, I've gotten as high as 3.5.

i'm not convinced any games need over 2gb vram. i may just get another 780 dcuII oc for cheap and sli. the whole 6gb thing for shadow of mordor reeks of bs concocted by vga shills. bf4 at 1440p on ultra sits around 2gb if i remember right.

The light... welcome. Also feel free to check on reviews of games that show it as well. If buying new for 1080p Ultra gaming, 3GB would be my minimum at this point.

This 980 overclocks very well.

I was tinkering around and had no issues with +700 mhz on the ram and + 200 on the core clock w/ tdp set to 115. It gets up to about 63C if i set the fan to scream, but it's easily designed to handle much more heat than that.

3dmark @ stock was 10400 and with these settings it was 11903. Run it at stock clocks for everything i do though as nothing remotely needs this overclock that i currently play right now.

Last edited:
hello folks i got my hand on a 780 ti for 499 :D . temporary card until the 980 ti arrives . it doesnt oc tho :( . can barely reach 70 mhz on the core 10685416_839337656125967_2851485315480703140_n.jpg

It's possible on standard BIOS without additional adjustments as it's running boost clock higher than what you set manually. Check power limit and voltage in ASUS soft or Afterburner but best results are always on modified BIOS. On the other hand if you are using it for games then I see no point in overclocking this card.

Nope. No need to. It's just a temporary card . I won't tinker around with it because I am eventually gonna sell it

Nope. No need to. It's just a temporary card . I won't tinker around with it because I am eventually gonna sell it

Just a "temporary card". You must be a hard-core gamer if you can't live w/o gaming long enough to wait for your 980 GTX.

When you think about it though, all gaming video cards are temporary, because the only thing that differs is how long that
temporary period lasts.

Just a "temporary card". You must be a hard-core gamer if you can't live w/o gaming long enough to wait for your 980 GTX.

When you think about it though, all gaming video cards are temporary, because the only thing that differs is how long that
temporary period lasts.
I couldnt agree more :D

If you are not focusing on 1-3 titles per year that are not optimized at all and require hardware upgrade to play at high details or you aren't thinking about 3+ display setup then gaming PC can easily last for 3 years. Most games base on old engines and are designed to work good on PC and consoles at the same time ( we all know how bad are new consoles ). Something like GTX580 is enough to play most titles at nearly max details on 1080p.

You worry too much. The only title I had some hitching with was FarCry3 when maxed right out. The metro series ran fine though. I can't speak for the BF series since I'm not much of an online gamer.

Id worry about its meager 1.5GB vRAM... but there is enough horsepower.

I remember when I bought my 6950 the GTX 580's were outrageously priced yet all they had was 1.5 GiB of VRAM? Did they have any 3 GiB variants?

Back