• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

is crossfire ready for primetime?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

surlyjoe

blew up my rig last night so I got me a new fx6300 and mobo and my GTX660 seems to have died as well so I am wondering if 2 R7's in crossfire is gonna be better than a single R9. Have they worked out all the BS that used to plauge dual cards or should I just stick to a single because crossfire is still a hassle? :-/

Dual mid range cards is still worse than a single high end card, for both amd and nvidia in my opinion. You get more issues with new release games. I have crossfire, and it works fine in the overwhelming majority of my games, but it didn't work in wildstar for the two months I was subbed and it still doesn't work in planetside 2. Planetside 2 in particular is the worst possible outcome for it too, because both cards get loaded and use power but I get the same fps as a single card.

Of course this is all just my opinion, but I wouldn't consider 2 mid range cards instead of one high end card. But crossfire is more than ready for primetime. Particularly the current implementation found on the Hawaii chips.

if your buying new then your probably better off getting a single better card in my mind, then adding a second of the same card later on (or in my case the same card under another name)
I haven't had any issues with crossfire yet but its only been about a week.

also considering average price on an r7 265 is $150 and average on a r9 280x is about $270 you'd save a few bucks getting the single card now and still probably save a few by adding a card later on.

I doubled up on my video cards for $100, bought used but cashing in on people getting out of bit coin is playing to the gamers favor

Thanx guys! I think I'm gonna try out one of the R9-270x flavors and see what it will do.. that way if I decide to go crossfire I can afford another one.. :p

Back