• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Should I leave IBT running overnight

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mikesamo

Hi It is currently 2 am and so far 6 out of 50 IBT max stress rounds have passed. I'm running my 4770k on 1.29v and 4.3 ghz . Xmp profile . Temperatures are 78c at max
I am very tired and I am worried about the pc freezing during the test. It normally happens when there's insufficient voltage but what does the cpu do during freezing. I don't always get fortunate with a simple bsod and automatic restart. Sometimes the computer just freezes up and the only solution is to hold on the power button. This only happens during oc so on stock I'm not having problems. Is it okay to leave it and go to sleep even if it freezes . I'm just worried about the cpus status during frezing.

If it freezes, the CPU simply deadlocks and stops functioning until you reset it. Worst case is you wake up and have to restart.

50 rounds seems like a lot. Why not 20 rounds of IBT and and all but one core running Prime 95 and the other some 3dMark, depending on your GPU for 8 hours?

I don't like half assed stability mate . I just don't feel comfortable running p95 for 8 hours like a lot of people do . Ibt stresses the cpu the most . 50 ibt rounds takes about 3.5 hours to finish.

As long as your temps are safe you can run it as long as you think you need to test stability. You don't need to stay and watch the pc. If it freezes nothing bad will happen to the processor.

I'd keep it under 95-100c. The processor will slow down if it gets too hot and will shut down if things really go bad. I'd say it is near impossible to kill an Intel chip due to heat.

You can degrade it's lifespan though.
I think I have enough headroom to hit 4.4 ghz on 2 cores and 4.3 on 2 others. I tried 4.4 and temperatures were in the high 90.s

By the time you kill you chip with heat, you will likely have upgraded or will want to upgrade your hardware.

To clarify, I wouldn't run a chip that hot 24/7 because you are near the limit of what it should be handling. If you are only reaching those temperatures while stress testing, you shouldn't be near that with normal loads.

For me anything over 80C is Too Hot. In my experience with Haswell using stress testing programs that generate enormous heat is not the best way to test stability.

Prime blend + 3dMark running at the same time is good stability testing. Set the affinity for one core to run 3dMark. Let it run 24 hours if you want. I guarantee that if you can run that 12-24 hours...it's stable. 24 hours is a bit overkill. This is a PC with Windows. You can get a BSOD even when you aren't overclocking.

I use 10 runs of Linx just for a quick test. The problem is that with 32GB of RAM, even just 10 runs of Linx is not quick. As others have said, it's impossible to kill an Intel CPU from heat. It will throttle or shut off. I remember an old video where they removed the cooler from an Intel and AMD CPU. The AMD fried and the Intel kept running. I haven't used AMD since a 4400+, but I'm sure AMD has safeguards now considering they have CPU's taking 220w.

it passed ibt 1.29 4.2 ghz . however 1.29 4.3 failed . if i bump up the voltage over 1.3 things get very hot

Back