• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

gtx 670 sli still good enough?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

turbobooster196

at the moment I have 2 msi gtx 670 ower edition cards.
I,m playing on a 1920x1080 resolution.
are these cards stiil good enough to play at ultra and for how long do you think, don't mind dropping to very high ore to high settings.

Is it good enough for you and the games you play? That is the question to ask (yourself).

That said, some games at 1080p can use over 2GB vram so in some titles, and more as time goes on, you could get some hitching in games.

But, if its worknig for you, let it work. When its not, then its time to upgrade. I can't guess when it will be bad for you. :)

Last edited:
I would guess your FPS @ 1080P is likely in the 60-100 range with those cards, all settings maxed, depending on the title. I feel that's acceptable, but as EarthDog said, it's really up to you. The vram issue he brought up is definitely something I would start to worry about. Maybe not with the current generation of games (BF4 maxes out ~2100Mb), but definitely with games coming out towards the end of this year and in 2015. You'll start to notice the "hitching" he mentioned, as the game is forced to load from memory (or disk) the textures it couldn't load to begin with because it wanted to load more than you had vram.

Built an SLI gaming rig for a friend of mine back when the 670's were first released.
he is still loving it, however I am thinking he will be crying the blue's when next gen of games hit's the street's

but as of now plays everything he throws at it with good frame rates

Going to a LAN party with him in October.

I think ED hit the nail on the head, the only person that can really answer this question is you, Is the eye candy and frame rates acceptable to you ?

im in the same predicament. I have 2 670 FTW+ 4GB cards. I'm thinking about selling them while they're still worth something and going with a 970. I definitely dont need a full 4GB...but a 3GB flavor would be ideal playing @ 1080p.

thing is, will they sell a 970 with 3gb? the only 3gb cards in the 700 series was the 780's.

i feel that theyre doing this to trap people in. that way, you either have to pay premium for a 770 4gb card or pay a premium for a 780 3gb card...you couldnt get a 770 3gb...thus, "having your cake and eating it too".

Last edited:
I'm guessing the 970 will be a rebadged 780, so it'll be 3gb. Isn't that how nvidia usually does the x70?

The amount of vram depends on the bus size. If its 256/512 it will be 2/4/6/8. If its 384 it will be 3/6/9 etc...

As far as what it will be, who knows. Its leaked specs/screenshots did not make it look like a 780(IIRC). But only time will tell. It is def. not set in stone that the x7x will be a rebadge. In fact, I would guess not as the 670 wasn't a rebadge of the 5xx series (was it?).

I don't think it was. The 770 was a 680 with higher ram speed, though. Maybe it skips a generation?

Results in line with the 290x. That's pretty cool. What was the launch price of the 770? $300-400? Wonder if the 970 will be similar?

Im going with $450 and $550 for the 970/980 respectively...

that sounds about right. I paid $450 each for my 670's at the time. Though, my evga FTW 4gb versions used the 680 board and HSF combo, IIRC.

Im not entirely sure how much a normal 670 at the time was

Back