• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

X99 deluxe bios flash and q code 61 help!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Dangnabitt

x99-Deluxe not posting. I'm getting a q code 61 on the motherboard. I built the system, loaded windows 7, was in the process of doing updates. Foolish me, i tried updating the BIOS with the Asus flashback method. it booted, showed on the screen "now updating bios" then went black, restarted, and now will not start, only q code 61. I tried re flashing with original bios, i tried clearing the cmos (button and removing battery). I don't see any cmos jumpers.

everything still leads to q code 61 and no boot.

Any help?

i7 5930k Asus x99-Deluxe 8x2 Crucial DDR4 ram - 2133 Corsair PSU 850w Corsair h110 cpu cooling.

Does that board have a BIOS Switch?
If so, have you tried the backup BIOS?

I'm not sure, if by BIOS switch you mean the button on the back that i press to load the bios via USB, then thats the thing i used to begin with. if there was someway to just manually reset the motherboard. It's so new so I'm having a hard time finding solutions.

Did you follow the instructions for BIOS Flashback on 2-14 of the manual?

Yes I did exactly that many times. I downloaded the .cap file from asus website, put it ona fat32 usb drive, put it in the flashback port, pressed the button and waited for the usb drive to stop blinking, then I'd press the power button and nothing.

The BIOS is probably corrupted. When you tried flashing the original BIOS, it was again by using the USB Flashback method?

http://event.asus.com/2012/mb/USB_BIOS_Flashback_GUIDE/

Yes, used that exact page as reference. Interesting note. on the page, it says rename it x99D.cap in the manual, it says x99-D.cap. I tried the manual version after problem started and it gives me a solid light meaning no good.

Yup, looks like the bios is corrupted. Looking at your board you do not have a secondary bios. Some boards have a tiny toggle switch that enables the user to switch between Bios-1 (Primary) and Bios-2 (Back-Up). Your board does not have that option. I'm surprised given the fact it's Asus' flagship board. Seeing as you did exactly what redduc suggested, you may have indeed bricked your board. The Bios you downloaded may have been corrupted and when you flashed...blip.

Your best bet is RMA.

Last edited:
That's really disappointing if that's the case. I followed their bios update procedure to the letter, and that's the result? I sent a support ticket to them already, waiting on response. No one else have any tricks i can try? possibly replacing the bios chip?

Couple of other details, when I hit the power, the cpu light blinks for an instant, then goes off, the fans on the cooler don't spin, but the case fans do. The cooler WAS working before the bios update.
Also the Memory OK light is solid red, if i press it, it checks blinks for a while, the cpu flickers, then goes back to the same.

You could try removing / disconnecting everything except the bare essentials. That includes everything except the CPU / HSF, 1 x DRAM module, both PSU connectors (24-pin and 4 / 8-pin AUX connectors), and videocard. This also includes disconnecting case fans, power plugs connected to HDDs, SSDs, ODDs, etc. Then reset CMOS w/ the PSU unplugged and the board discharged (discharge the CAPs by holding down the power button for a few seconds). Plug the PSU back in, then hit the power button on the board. If and when you hear the POST beep(s), immediately start hitting the DEL key until you enter the BIOS.

I'll give it a try, unfortunately tomorrow as it's 2 am here and I'm teaching kids int he morning. I pulled the cmos battery and the unplugged the psu, ill let it drain I suppose.

I'll give it a try, unfortunately tomorrow as it's 2 am here and I'm teaching kids int he morning. I pulled the cmos battery and the unplugged the psu, ill let it drain I suppose.

Update. It turns out the culprit was the Video card and not the bios update all along, despite updating the bios being the last thing i did. Maybe updating the drivers caused it to freak out, but everything worked once i ran 2 separate 8 pins cables to the psu from the 2 8 pins on the card, where before I had 2 slots on the card plugged into one cable with 2 6+2 connections on one end, and one 8 pin on the other.
I tired it on a whim before dismantling the board and boom, all is fine.

Last edited by a moderator:
Update. It turns out the culprit was the Video card and not the bios update all along, despite updating the bios being the last thing i did. Maybe updating the drivers caused it to freak out, but everything worked once i ran 2 separate 8 pins cables to the psu from the 2 8 pins on the card, where before I had 2 slots on the card plugged into one cable with 2 6+2 connections on one end, and one 8 pin on the other.
I tired it on a whim before dismantling the board and boom, all is fine.

Is your psu a single 12 volt rail?

I have some questions, if I might. I am a relative noob so please excuse any lapses on my part. I also plan to build a system using the Asus X99 Deluxe. If you are going to do the Bios update using Asus's flashback method with the motherboard outside the case, what power connections do you have? Both motherboard cables hooked to the PSU and that's it? I watched the Asus video but I was left a little unclear on that point.

You can update the Bios after you have your system built. Is that preferable to doing it with the motherboard alone? Can you update the Bios using the Asus software? Which would be the preferable method? Lastly, can you establish a backup Bios for safety on this board?

Thank you in advance for any comments.

Last edited:
Back