• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Asrock 97 Killer + 2x8gb Gskill Tridentx 2400 won´t boot in dual channel

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

moonshake

Hey there,

I´ve got a new mobo (rma ed the one I´ve got firs, all pins are ok) + an i5 4690k. With or without overclock. system works flawlessly with only one dimm (tested in every bank) but fails to post when I connect the other dimm in dual channel. Sometimes it posts, I can enter to the bios, load Windows etc (but sometimes it reboots the PC though...). When I power off and on again I get the cold boot over and over, short fan spinning or black screen with no post.
I´ve tested updating bios, XMP profiles, manual timings, little overbolts (1.67), etc

With only one dimm PC seems to be solid at 4.7ghz

Bought the ram in A mazon, so I have a few days to return it while getting a 1866 similar kit, witch is in stock right now
What do you think?

Cheers

Check if both sticks are acting the same. I mean check each of them separately in slot 1 on the motherboard. Run memtest86+ or something similar. If both will pass then check the same in 3 slot. If it pass then check both sticks in 2/4.
It's just to check if memory is the problem or memory slots. I had some issues with memory slots on my Gigabyte board recently and it went to RMA.

So if both memory sticks work the same but on some slots are problems with both of them then it's memory slot issue.

Thanks Woomack.
The strange thing is I´ve managed to boot with the two modules. I could run Windows, played a few games, runned some stress tests like Aida and Superpi with no issues. Sudenly, while on idle mode ,PC rebooted.
So back to testing dimms separately...
One stick is ¨weaker¨ tan the other. Stick1 works with no problems at all in all slots. Stick2 has problems to boot in slots 1,2 and 3 but I could manage to make it work in slot 4
Will do a few tests more but I´m pretty sure I´ll return this modules

Sounds like a dying stick of RAM to me, since one works perfectly and the other doesn't.

If they're over 30 days old go ahead and contact G.SKILL for a replacement, their support is very good.

New 1866 sticks arrived and installed right away with no issues at all (3hs Aida, Superpi...). Thanks for the help!

Back