• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FEATURED Crucial 4x8GB DDR4-2133 CL15 1.2V - CT4K8G4DFD8213

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Woomack

Benching Team Leader
Today I have to show probably the cheapest ( but not the worst as you will find out later ) DDR4 memory available on our market - Crucial DDR4-2133 CL15 1.2V. In this thread will be presented four 8GB memory sticks marked as CT8G4DFD8213. Exactly the same memory can be found as 4x8GB kit under the CT4K8G4DFD8213 product number.

Right now 4x8GB kit cost about $408 on the Newegg what is at least $50 cheaper than any other 32GB kit that I found:
http://www.newegg.com/global/pl/Pro...861&cm_re=crucial_ddr4-_-20-148-861-_-Product

It's also the first DDR4 memory that we could see on stock in the online stores.

Full review ( without some overclocking results that you can find in this thread ) can be found here -> http://funkykit.com/89-reviews/memory/1380-crucial-32gb-ddr4-2133-cl15-memory-kit-review

If you can't see what is on the screenshots ( too small to read ) then please open picture in a new tab/window.

Crucial_DDR4_2133_pht2.jpg

Crucial_DDR4_2133_pht5.jpg

Crucial_DDR4_2133_pht13.jpg

Crucial used Micron D9RGQ IC

Crucial_DDR4_2133_pht7.jpg

Memory is standard desktop version without heatsinks. We also won't find XMP profiles so there is only one SPD profile which is running at 2133 15-15-15 1.2V. All motherboards shouldn't have any problems with this profile.

SPD: 2133 15-15-15-36 2N 1.20V

spd.jpg

AIDA64 has some problems to read memory speed at other strap than 100MHz so as you see at 127MHz bclk it's already showing 3800 memory clock what is impossible. In this case look at CPU-Z memory tab.

Test results and overclocking

2400 13-13-13-30 1N 1.35V

2400c13.jpg

2666 14-14-14-32 1N 1.35V

2666c14.jpg

2666 12-13-13-30 1N 1.50V

2666C13.jpg

2800 12-13-13-32 1N 1.50V

2800c12.jpg

2800 12-11-12-28 1N 1.50V

2800c1211.jpg

3000 14-13-13-34 2N 1.50V

3000c14.jpg

I have to check tighter timings some more as 3000 14-12-12-32 1.50V is booting but is crashing in the middle of HyperPi 32M.

Maximum clock for now 1572MHz ( DDR4-3144 ) CL17 -> http://valid.canardpc.com/wz5twm I think I can make it run higher but I'm not sure if on my motherboard.

Last edited:
Today I've added standard SPD profile results and 2800 12-11-12-28 1N results. This setting is actually great comparing to any available DDR4 on the market. I still have to work some more on sub timings but it's promising.

I also checked new BIOS for my motherboard which supposed to improve memory compatibility but performance is lower than on the old BIOS. All results in this thread were made on MSI X99S SLI Plus and 1.10 BIOS.

This looks promising, Thanks for taking the time Woomack

Still cannot open the screen shots , having to save file and open from there

I will try firefox, possible the upgrade does not like IE

It's on the list to fix so maybe soon pictures will work better.
I saw that most manufacturers are using Hynix IC but looking at these Microns I think it's better memory for benching.

Btw if I'm right then it's ~4AM in US right now. What are you doing on the forums at this hour ? :)

lol

I start working at 4:00 am.

Typically grab some coffee and surf while I wake up :)

I am in the market for some stix, Can't thank you enough for taking the time to provide these reviews

I'm glad I can help.
When I back home I have to check some additional settings as I've noticed that new BIOS for my board is about 5GB/s slower in write bandwidth than the old one. The same tightening timings are not giving as good results as expected.
I saw reviews where are differences at the same memory settings about 5-7GB/s between various motherboards.

Hmmm

Although MSI is notourious for having less than stellar memory performance hard to fathom they would send out an update that would weaken performance ???

2nd BIOS on MSI X99S SLI is showing performance about as high as best X99 boards. MSI never had problems with memory performance. They had problems with memory clock and memory compatibility. When they finally make it work then it's working good. Sometimes they just don't care to fix everything right so not all their boards are good.

yea, I have a X79A-GD65 (8D)

it is horrendous, clocks like crazy , but memory it just is horrible. using Teams on it as they were better than the Corsairs I had prior , but can only run them at 2000 8-9-9-22 1T

Don't think the IMC on my chip is all that in all fairness though

Looking hard at the Crucial memory though, the G.skill 3000 cas 15 is pretty expensive and may not be that good ?

I have no idea how is working G.Skill 3000 except what I saw in reviews around the web but I don't think they're on any much better IC than lower series. Looking at most reviews it's hard to say how memory is overclocking as all are making couple of tests on stock clocks and barely try anything above that.

My X79A-GD45 could make max ~2666 so just right for all my Samsung kits. When I moved to ASUS RIVE then I started to play with Hynix some more and made ~3500+ clock what was actually better than most my Haswell setups could do ( and I had 5 Z87/Z97 boards + many CPUs ).

I've ( finally ) added some photos. Just forgot to make it earlier ;)

Interresting reading. I am currently looking for ram, the HyperX has just hit one of the online shops here, and 2800 is cheaper than 2133 g.skills. But if maybe its worth getting these Crucials and adding EK heatsinks to them. (without the water on top)

This memory is not getting hot even after overvoltage so it doesn't require any additional cooling. You can use heatsinks for looks but I'm not sure if it's worth to pay for that.
Right now most DDR4 kits on the market base on similar Micron or Hynix IC. Depends from binning you can find it in lower or higher clocked kits. Micron can usually run at tighter timings ( at least from what I saw and tested ).

Crucial kit from this thread is running pretty stable @2666 13-13-14-32 1N ~1.4V. I didn't check lower voltages but I guess I can try that when I switch platforms. Now I set all for 1150 tests.

For me, its about the looks.

I would be looking at 4x4gb sticks. I currently have a pm'ing going with Earthdog about ram, since I am looking at HyperX that i know he has been testing. But This test with Crucials is making me think twice.

The EK or XSPC toped are only 25euros for 2, for 50 for 4, which with the Crucials still make it all together cheaper than the cheapest HyperX kit (2666 CL13 1,35v)

If the Crucials will run that or above for cheaper, then its pretty much a no brainer.

I think you can get cheaper heatsinks for memory. 50€ is a lot for only heatsinks. I don't know when will be Crucial Elite that look great on early photos but you can find Sport series in heatsinks right now.

4x4GB kit should perform and overclock about the same. Overclocking is never guaranteed but all Crucial 2133 that I saw could make about the same clocks.

In my case, they just have to be black. My options are HyperX, Ripjaws or Crucical with the heatsinks from the water kits. The Crucials are still cheaper than all others even with the heatsinks, and its 50euro for 4, which i dont think is too bad.

I just replaced my $310 Corsair with $220 Crucial Sport. This really reassure me that it was probably a good idea....

I've changed motherboard to ASUS RVE and Crucial memory is working fully stable at 2666 13-12-13-28 1N 1.35V. I've noticed that some sticks are slightly weaker but 2666 clock gives optimal performance as I can set tighter timings than at higher clocks.

Thats erm.. Great i guess. I should be fine wanting to stick to 2400mhz with my Crucial set i presume? Or maybe just tighten the 2133mhz kit?

There is a chance that 2400 kit will have slightly better chips. As I said there is some difference between my sticks while matched kit will probably work about as high on all sticks. Still 2666 clock should be possible on all of them.

Back