• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclocking Q9550?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Ashgamer

Here are my pc specs

Core 2 quad Q9550 2.83 GHz
Cooler Master Hyper TX3 EVO
Asus P5G41T-MLX
4GB DDR3 1333 RAM(2 x 2GB)
GTX 750 ti
WD Green 1TB
Windows 7 32 bit
Antec VP450P 450W PSU

My cpu is bottlenecking my gpu in some games. I can't afford a new build anytime soon, so i am thinking about doing some minor overclocking to lower the bottleneck. I am expecting an OC to 3 - 3.2 GHz. I don't want to increase voltage, a risk free minor overclock.
I read that G41 cannot OC well, but also that this mobo can do some overclocking.
Please help me overclock my cpu(i am new to overclocking).

Last edited:
For that small of an overclock, all you need to do is raise the FSB from 333 to 376MHz for a 3.2GHz clock (no voltage adjustments necessary). Then just select a DRAM frequency as close to DDR3-1333 as possible without going over.

For that small of an overclock, all you need to do is raise the FSB from 333 to 376MHz for a 3.2GHz clock (no voltage adjustments necessary). Then just select a DRAM frequency as close to DDR3-1333 as possible without going over.

I know how to raise the fsb, but have no idea about the DRAM frequency part. My pc has 2 ram sticks with 1333 mhz. I am new to overclocking. can you explain the dram frequency selecting part?

You should have a DRAM Frequency menu option in the BIOS, which when selected / highlighted will offer a number of different frequencies depending on the available ratios. Select the closest available option to DDR3-1333 without going over.

I did the overclock exactly like you said. It went well, got it to 3.2 Ghz. It was stable when tested with intel burn test. But when i played crysis, the display went off. I freaked out and restarted the pc, and turned it back to the way it was, back on 333 fsb. Does that mean the overclock failed?

Last edited:
Maybe. Why did the screen go off? What does the the event log say happened?

Did you make sure you had the memory as close to stock speeds as possible? If so, what were the speeds?

It seemingly failed b/c of the overclock, but WHY it failed because of that is the question... and we need more information.

I did the overclock exactly like you said. It went well, got it to 3.2 Ghz. It was stable when tested with intel burn test. But when i played crysis, the display went off. I freaked out and restarted the pc

Make sure the PCI-E frequency is locked to 100.

That issue isn't even likely, unless you have an unstable video card.

The issue you need to BOL for, is a "STOP: 0x00000124" BSOD with a bus/interconnect error reported in the event log. (When running blend Prime95)

This appears to be a common issue with Core 2 Quads.
You need more FSB termination voltage if that occurs.

Push it!
LGA 775

0x101 = increase vcore
0x124 = increase/decrease vcore or VTT
0x0A = unstable RAM/NB, increase NB/VTT first, if that doesn't work increase vcore
0x1E = increase vcore, or lower RAM frequency/ increase RAM voltage
0x3B = increase vcore, or lower RAM frequency/ increase RAM voltage
0xD1 = VTT, increase/decrease as necessary
0x9C = VTT most likely, but increasing vcore has helped in some instances
0x00000109 = Not enough or too Much memory voltage
0x1A = Memory management error. It usually means a bad stick of Ram. Test with Memtest or whatever you prefer. Try raising your Ram voltage. Can also mean more juice for the south bridge ICH volts
0x19: memory voltage

0x0A =Likely seen during Linpack. Increase the Vcore.

"bus/interconnect error" in the event log after reboot= Increase the FSB termination voltage.

Maybe. Why did the screen go off? What does the the event log say happened?

Did you make sure you had the memory as close to stock speeds as possible? If so, what were the speeds?

It seemingly failed b/c of the overclock, but WHY it failed because of that is the question... and we need more information.

Sorry for the late reply, the problem was likely caused by viruses as my pc was full of it. I did a clean install of windows 8.1 64 bit after that, and as my internet speed was low(50Kbps), it took a long time to do the updates and download the games.

cpu frequency 376
Dram frequency 1203 mhz
I haven't tried OC ing after last time.

I got one of those Q9550 on a Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3P overclocked to 3.92 GHz and DDR2 memory 1104MHz or so. If it was the GB board I might have some advice. G/L

Last edited:
Back