• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Whats straining my eyes monitor to bright or sitting to close ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Wolf11

I'm using a 32'' HDTV 1080p as a monitor. I'm sitting at arms length from it by the way. Some people say it's not because I'm to close, it's because it's probably to bright.

Two questions:
- Did you try moving farther away?
- Did you try lowering the brightness?

probably too close, it is a 32" tv. i dont even sit that close to my 25" monitor im a good arm and a half to two arm lengths from it.

Last edited:
It's not a big strain but after a few hours it's like my eyes are burning a little.

well i dont understand what you are trying to say, if it hurts. move it further away, or turn down the brightness.

well i dont understand what you are trying to say, if it hurts. move it further away, or turn down the brightness.

This.

Though I did have 1-2 summers where any computer use would dry out my eyes completely. https://justgetflux.com/ may help too if you don't want to get further away from the monitor. Thinks may get a red tint to them but It's hardly noticeable over time.

It's not a big strain but after a few hours it's like my eyes are burning a little.

In general staring at something that close for a long period of time will strain the eyes and muscles attached to them. As you get closer to an object your eyes will strain the closer you get to it. I can be helpful if you periodically look away and focus on something at a distance. The suggestions above about the brightness and distance should be taken into account.

In general staring at something that close for a long period of time will strain the eyes and muscles attached to them. As you get closer to an object your eyes will strain the closer you get to it. I can be helpful if you periodically look away and focus on something at a distance. The suggestions above about the brightness and distance should be taken into account.

Agreed. I have a 40" LCD I use as my monitor and I'm a good 3 feet away from it. Even when I game I don't wait til my eyes are burning, I'll look away and focus on something else. My eyes don't burn as I give them plenty of breaks in between reading the forum sections. Also my brightness level is adjusted to be a tad lower as it won't be that bright it's burning through my corneas, lol.

I've learned because I sit and stare at 5 22" monitors for approximately 10 hours a day. I have also found that overhead florescent lighting will also contribute to burning eyes.

Back