• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Shouldn't there be a sticky for "how to" overclock your ram

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

drkcyde

Registered
I posted about this on the motherboard forum because I'm matching ram to a specific motherboard. Anyways, I came over to here hoping to find a post (assumed it would be the number 1 sticky) of how to go about safely overclocking your ram step by step. I'm totally new to overclocking and don't even know how to begin changing the timing or Mhz's of any ram chip anywhere! Is there a link someone can post to help out a beginner with getting started on overclocking ram?

There is no thread like that. I made a guide about memory overclocking on Ivy Bridge which is similar to what you have to do on most DDR3 platforms. It's not really describing all options/timings but maybe will be helpful -> http://www.overclockers.com/memory-overclocking-guide-ivy-bridge

Tips about various memory kits and used IC you can find in my memory test thread but in this case you have to know what to look for -> http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php/732290-Woomack-s-memory-test-list

the only time overclocking ram counts is in benchmarking, you gain zippo in daily use and very little in gaming.
you must be very careful overclocking ram, you WILL corrupt your hard drive.
till you get much further down the line, set your ram up manually in the bios, womacks links will help you a lot.

the only time overclocking ram counts is in benchmarking, you gain zippo in daily use and very little in gaming.
you must be very careful overclocking ram, you WILL corrupt your hard drive.
till you get much further down the line, set your ram up manually in the bios, womacks links will help you a lot.

Big ‘ol +1.

I killed my OS because of overclocking the RAM, but I jacked it up stupid high, like 2100+ Mhz on Sandy Bridge. That‘s not to say it can‘t be done of course.

As long as you run Memtest and confirm you‘re stable, you‘ll be fine.

Back