• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Photokina 2014

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Dark_n_Beyond

Photokina begins next Tuesday, September 16. I've kept up on the Canon rumors leading up to it, but due to time constraints I really haven't followed anything else. Anyone else waiting for news from the show? Anything you're hoping to see in the form of new gear or technology?

I'm excited just to see what sort of announcements there are. There isn't any money in the pot to buy any of it, but I always like seeing what new tech they come up with. Here's hoping the 7D Mark II comes out so people can finally quit speculating!

So far the biggest Photokina announcements I've seen are the Zeiss 85mm f/1.4 Otus (a mere $4,500) and a couple Fuji edits to existing models (the silver graphite X-T1 looks sweeeeeet).

I'm with you... I'm tired of all the 7D speculation. It will be interesting to see what it actually ends up being though. I'm looking forward to some new sensor tech, and that is really what will keep me from buying a new body yet this year. My hope is it actually is a new sensor, and not just a new chip.

That Zeiss lens is just sick, as they all are. I could never justify the money for it though, under any circumstances. I think I'd start looking at a Leica M if I had that kind of money....

I'm not expecting much that we haven't already seen in the lens department, although it would be welcome. I'm in the market for a superzoom for backpacking next year. Weight becomes an issue for that kind of thing, and I think a superzoom will be my best bet for it's weight and versatility, even though that's a compromise.

With all the announcements this week, I'm starting to wonder whether or not there will be anything left for next week....

The Nikon D750 has been announced. Maybe I'm just biased because I shoot Canon, but it honestly looks.... meh. Along side that, a 20mm f/1.8 prime, and an SB-500 speedlight.

Competition between Tamron and Sigma seems to be heating up a bit, with Sigma announcing 2 (different) 150-600mm lenses, and an 18-300mm super zoom.

On the Canon side, a couple of lenses leaked... an EF-S 24mm pancake will likely be worth a look for crop bodies. EF 24-105mm f/ 3.5-5.6 IS STM... possibly the new 6D kit lens (but not an L... really?), and the 400mm DO IS II which is probably out of most of our price ranges.

I'll try to update this as things are released, but it's going to be a pretty busy week for me. Please feel free to post anything you see that's relevant.

In a perfect world, I would love the 18-300 Sigma for convenience, but I fear the compromises to get such a range.

Nothing has really wowed me so far from anybody.

In a perfect world, I would love the 18-300 Sigma for convenience, but I fear the compromises to get such a range.

Nothing has really wowed me so far from anybody.

Me either. I'm not a mirrorless fan yet, but Samsung may announce something to change my mind. I'm attempting to stay away from the speculation though.

I'll probably take a look at the 18-300 for backpacking, although it makes me cringe a bit. Using it while on the move, and maybe taking my 40mm pancake for "stop shots" could be a viable option. Looking at my gear list, I need to drop some weight from the pack, and I'm quickly running out of ways to do so. I really don't want to have to resort to a P&S, so I've really been chewing on this.

7D Mark II is official. Few links:

http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/standard_display/eos_7dmkii_feature?WT.mc_id=C126149
http://www.dpreview.com/articles/3373094259/canon-announces-long-awaited-eos-7d-mark-ii
http://www.shutterbug.com/content/c...s-7d-mark-ii-digital-slr-and-three-new-lenses
http://www.wexphotographic.com/blog/canon-eos-7d-mark-ii-announced
http://www.canonrumors.com/2014/09/video-review-canon-eos-7d-mark-ii/

Looks hot, but not hot enough to make me want it over the 70D. Supposedly it's a new sensor...seems awfully similar to the 70D's though. Video looks nice, as does the built-in intervalometer. Aside from that, I'd miss wifi, touch screen and flippy screen. I use all of those a whole lot more than I thought I would, and would miss them tremendously.

Heh... you beat me to it. The 7D really looks geared toward sports and wildlife. If one of those was your primary subject, then I think it's the camera to get. If not, I personally don't see a reason to buy it over the 70D.

Heh... you beat me to it. The 7D really looks geared toward sports and wildlife. If one of those was your primary subject, then I think it's the camera to get. If not, I personally don't see a reason to buy it over the 70D.

65 cross AF points and 10 fps does sound pretty crazy. I just got my hands on a 7D (mark 1), and the 19 cross AF points and 8 fps is blowing my mind compared to the 11 point AF (essentially a single point for me), 4.5 fps 6D. :D I agree that the sensor tech is a big factor. EDIT: I just saw that it will have USB 3.0. Not going to lie, that got me a little excited. :sly:

I'm surprised no mention of a new 100-400, the rumors seemed to be circulating for that...

What I am really excited for is the Samyang 12mm fisheye lens. I've been starting to make spherical panoramas, and was looking for a lens with a 180 degree FoV (all the Canon and third party brands start at roughly $500... I'll be happy if the Korean manual lens starts at $300ish and performs well).

Last edited:
I got sent out of town unexpectedly and haven't really had a chance to update this thread. To be honest, I think so far it's been a big yawn, with a couple of things that while not necessarily groundbreaking, did get my attention. I'm headed north camping until the middle of next week, but I'll do a wrap up when I get back.

I've being following since 2 weeks ahead start of Photokina closely.
I have sold off all of my old toys except some leftover gears within the past 2 months in anticapating to Photokina.
An old Olympus E-500, Sony a550, Canon 50D, Nikon D7000, Sony a77...crazy right?
Too bad, my choise of equipment is not releasing any new camera atm.
Though, there is an interesting APS-C NX1 camera from Samsung came out of nowhere with impressive specs on paper.
No, I can't deal with another platform atm. :p

It definitely was interesting, as far as what was and wasn't officially announced. All in all, as I said earlier, it was a pretty quiet show. The NX-1 does indeed look quite impressive, and at least has my attention. The problem at the moment, as with I think all mirrorless cameras as of right now, is lack of glass. I'm not ready to jump on that bandwagon quite yet.

Other things I've noted, and forgive me if I miss anything truly noteworthy as I have a pile of notifications I tried to wade through....

Tamron 15-30 f/2.8 DI VC USD (with OS)

Canon GX 7 (Large sensor)

Panasonic LX100

Olympus OM-D E-M1 (updated)

Leica S ("entry level" medium format, but still way out of my reach :()

That Tamron glass would be fun to try out and the G7 X looks like a sweet P&S (that I could never afford for a P&S :p). Sigma also announced their 150-600 models (times two).

Overall it seemed rather Photoquiet.

For five grand an 85mm lens better autofocus, frame the photo, direct the model, include a model and press the shutter, all by its damn self!

I seen the Zeiss put up against the Sigma on the 55mm shoot out. Between those two I would take the Sigma which has autofocus and spend the left over cash on other gear. I have a feeling the 85mm Zeiss won't be much better. What gets me is there is no autofocus or weather sealing.

Last edited:
Back