• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows 8 issues

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jediobi1

Hey all have a win 8 machine, built in admin account is disabled and main user can't remember their password, tried booting into safe mode and safe mode with cmd prompt but it asked for a login, this machine also cannot for what ever reason boot from USB or DVD, what do I do?

Is their account an MSN account? I thought there was some sort of reset you could do from the login screen.

The computer is probably setup to only boot UEFI devices.

Worse case scenario, you could yank the drive, back it up from another system and wipe it. Not sure how you forget your Windows password.

It wouldn't surprise me if the option to only boot UEFI is on by default.

It most certainly is on store-bought systems nowadays.

So people need to ENABLE Legacy Support in BIOS to boot from USB Flash Drive or CD...

apparently so, i could not get it to boot from the recovery dvd at all and i did managed to get it to boot from a thumbdrive with a windows 8 iso on it, but the command to reenenable the built in admin account did not work

OK. Do you know what BIOS is?
To get into motherboard BIOS before you boot into Windows you would need to:
1. Disconnect the power, take out the battery to make sure Windows 8 is completely shut down, which it never is on some systems, so you have to cut the power to make sure, or use a custom shut down shortcut.
2. When powering up, you need to hold either an F number key or on some systems you need to hold Esc when powering up to get to a menu where you can select F number to get into BIOS or F number to select a boot device.

Back