• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

RAID Controller that much better then on board MB RAID

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

davidst95

Hi, I have a Gigabyte Gaming GT Z97 motherboard that supports Intel and Marvel RAIDS. Will a separate PCIe RAID card be that much better than the on board RAID? I would like to put two 4TB HDDs in RAID 1 and maybe 2 SSDs in RAID 0.

I read some posts that says the RAID on the motherboard is software based. I'm not sure what that means. Thanks.

David

It depends what you are doing. For RAID 0 and 1, there won't be much of a difference, except in reliability and expandability.

Instead of putting solid state drives in RAID 0, buy a single on that is big enough for everything. You actually take a performance hit in random access times when putting anything in RAID 0, which is the whole reason people buy SSD in the first place. In addition to that, you are adding an extra layer that can fail.

Back