• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Looking for a new 4GB card

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mattyts

Registered
Hi all,I'm looking to replace my outdated Nvidia 460SE 1GB cards (I have 2 of these in SLI) with a relatively new 4GB card.

I'm running 2 monitors and want to be able to play most games on high/ultra mode (the 460s I have now run at over 90degrees when playing BF4 and lag a little)

I'm on a bit of a budget and I'm looking for something around the £200 mark if this is possible? specs of my build are in my signature.

Also,am I right in thinking one 4GB running 2 monitors would be better than 2 2GB cards in SLI running a monitor from each?

Thankyou.

You are right about the 4gb card being a better option as VRAM isn't combined when in a dual card config.

Within your budget, I would look for an R9 290 or 290X (new might be impossible for the latter on your budget).

Either of those will give you the performance you are looking for and 4GB of VRAM.

I am with NinjaCore.

I'd browse ebay/classified for a 290/290x in the £200 range.

You should find one if not too much in a hurry...

Thanks for the advice,how about any of the following cards:

Gigabyte Radeon R9 270X Overclocked 4GB Graphics Card PCI-E 3.0 DVI-I DVI-D HDMI DisplayPort
XFX Radeon R9 270X Graphics Card (Double Dissipation) 4GB DDR5 PCI Express 3.0 DisplayPort/HDMI/Dual-Link DVI-D/Dual-Link DVI-I
Zotac NVIDIA GeForce GTX 760 4GB Graphics Card
Gigabyte NVIDIA GeForce GTX 760 4GB Windforce Card
Sapphire Radeon R9 290 Tri-X 4GB Graphics Card PCI-E HDMI/DisplayPort/DVI-D (UEFI)
MSI NVIDIA GeForce GTX 760 4GB Graphics Card
MSI AMD Radeon R9 270X Gaming 4G Graphics Card 4GB (2 x DVI) HDMI DisplayPort

The only one I'd consider is the sapphire 290 Tri-x (great card actually). The rest, in my opinion, are pointless. Sure, they've got the VRAM you need for resolutions greater than 1080, but they can't power even decent settings at that res.

You need the 290 (or GTX 780) at a minimum when you go over 1080P.

The Z9 290 tri-x OC edition,would that be compatible with my motherboard? (in sig)

If you haven't bought yet, take a look at the new 970 before spending on a 290.

I purchased the Z9 290 Sapphire 4GB and it's brilliant-thanks to all those who helped.

Before my 460 wouldn't run BF4 on Ultra,it ran it on medium at 55-60 FPS and 80c +

The new card is running BF4 on Ultra at 80-90 FPS and much cooler :)

Back