• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Screen "blooming" on older MacBook?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

HankB

I'm typing this on an older MacBook (self described as "13-inch, Aluminum, Late 2008") with a 1280 x 800 LCD screen. Text on the screen is not as crisp as I am accustomed seeing. The whites just seem to blur into surrounding dark at the edges. This is at its worst with white text on a black or dark background and worse yet when the text is bolded. For example, the text "Post New Thread" above just looks crappy. The thread titles on the index page also look bad (worse for unread threads which are bolded.) It 's bad enough that it makes reading this forum less enjoyable. ;)

Changing screen brightness does not seem to help nor does fooling around with color calibration. Was this a characteristic of this display or can something be done about it.

Thanks!

R U running the screen at the native resolution? It almost sounds like the back light(s) could be going out.

R U running the screen at the native resolution? It almost sounds like the back light(s) could be going out.
Yes. I just checked settings and Resolution is "Best for Display" (vs. "Scaled.")

Tell me more about the backlight. As near as I can tell, it is working. That's screen brightness (<fn><F1> and <fn><F2>) right? Screen goes from dim to really bright so it seems to be OK to me. Turning it down to about 20% seems to help. Maybe I just had it too high.

thanks.

Back