• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Burstcoin HDD mining - The future of mining?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Hmmm I see lots of bandwidth used - something I don't have a whole lot of.
Fever, are you able to see how many MB you have uploaded/downloaded for this coin?

Or do you know if this coin is internet heavy because one must store these 'plots'. I assume that means downloading them or something?

Is cloud storage not an option?
Hmmmm.... Wonder how many people do that.
Does it have an effect on HD life?
From what I read, your HDD stores these 'plots'. So they have to be read and written at some point.
The generator program makes these 'plots' so I assume it has to write them when it makes them; but it sounds like a one time thing.

Like you make 500Gb of 'plots', the program writes them to the disk, and that's it - eventually, [one of] those plots will become valid. Which is a block.

That's how I'm reading it...

Hmmm I see lots of bandwidth used - something I don't have a whole lot of.
Fever, are you able to see how many MB you have uploaded/downloaded for this coin?

Or do you know if this coin is internet heavy because one must store these 'plots'. I assume that means downloading them or something?

I'll try to get some numbers for you. I'm solo mining, which requires me to have the wallet open while I mine. Pool mining might use less bandwidth, but the pools so far are too sketchy for my taste.

Is cloud storage not an option?

I imagine it would be, but you'd need a good CPU to generate the plot files.

Does it have an effect on HD life?

As opposed to having the drive idle or spun down, I'd say so. The worst part is generating the plots, which is constant writing up to the specified plot size. Once the plots are generated, usage is minimal. If I remember correctly, 256KB will be read per plotted GB for each block, trying to find the right value to unlock a block. My main rig has 20TB plotted in it, each block change brings about a new 5000MB disk read.

Hmmmm.... Wonder how many people do that.

From what I read, your HDD stores these 'plots'. So they have to be read and written at some point.
The generator program makes these 'plots' so I assume it has to write them when it makes them; but it sounds like a one time thing.

Like you make 500Gb of 'plots', the program writes them to the disk, and that's it - eventually, [one of] those plots will become valid. Which is a block.

That's how I'm reading it...

That's about right.

so does this mine fast with more space? or just use all your space?
also internet how much does it use? I have a 1.5m connection (unmetered)

so does this mine fast with more space? or just use all your space?
also internet how much does it use? I have a 1.5m connection (unmetered)

More space = "faster" plug in how much space you want to allocate to this coin into this profit calc.

im confused about mining
I had plot running for 4 hrs with 500gb and no coins
what do I have to do?
what do I enter for the password.txt?

hey thx I think its working now
only think I dont understand
how does "plottoendwith=800000 (for every 200 Gig section)"
does this mean every Plot is only 262Kb? (IE 200 x 1024 x1024 = 209715200Kb then divide by 800,000 = ~262Kb)
OR is it every plot 2097KB (IE 200 x 8 x 1024 x 1024 = 1677721600KB then divide by 800,000 = ~ 2097KB or ~2MB)

the reason is I have some hard drive that I only want some on
example a 250gb drive that is empty would be what 1 million plots?

:shrug:

I dunno. Seems weird that 800000 is = to 200Gb.
But at least you can reference that. You know 800000 is 200Gb so I'd think that 400000 is 100Gb and 80000 should be 50Gb..

That is, as long as it's all equal like that ;)

:shrug:

I dunno. Seems weird that 800000 is = to 200Gb.
But at least you can reference that. You know 800000 is 200Gb so I'd think that 400000 is 100Gb and 80000 should be 50Gb..

That is, as long as it's all equal like that ;)

Shouldn't that be "80000 should be 20Gb"?

Also, I've got a fair amount of ripped media on my hard drives at the moment. I could probably free up about 2-3 TB. Would it be worth it though to have to re-rip all that media? And can you run this while GPU mining XMR?

Shouldn't that be "80000 should be 20Gb"?

Also, I've got a fair amount of ripped media on my hard drives at the moment. I could probably free up about 2-3 TB. Would it be worth it though to have to re-rip all that media? And can you run this while GPU mining XMR?

:facepalm:
Yep, I messed that up. Meant to type 200000 = 50Gb.

Anyway, you can mine this while GPU mining it seems yes.
According to the calc, 2Tb is ~0.003 BTC/day

So yeah pretty good.

2t.PNG

I wish I had more space, I'd only be able to allocate 1.2 TB, and the profitability has dropped for 0.003/day to ~0.002 BTC/day If i were to mine

Back