• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

4790K Overclock stability and core temperatures

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Quest For Speed

I would like to get some feedback to see if anyone else has tested and found that Haswell is more sensitive to core temp than other processors they have overclocked. I've been dialing in my OC and I had the system stable [email protected] using ETU, Aida and Realbench 2.2 for 4 hours. Today I lowered the Vcore to 1.27 and it passed ETU but BSOD Realbench. Brought Vcore back to 1.28 for 12 hr test and crashed with Realbench after 10 minutes of running. Tried again...same thing. I had to set vcore to 1.288 to run the test longer than 10 minutes. After checking all my settings I saw that the only difference from yesterday and today was the Core temps. It was 3C warmer. After lowering the room temp I ran it again 1.28 and passed 4 hours of Aida and realbench. I'm currently running a 12 hr test. It Appears that running tests that use AVX the chip is very sensitive to core temp. Is it just my chip or has anyone else seen where a small 3C core temp drop makes a big difference with Stability?

Can't speak for the 4970k but I have a 4770k and yes it a finicky little you know what with temps. Especially when really pushing, ie. 4.9 and above, if the temps aren't just right it will not OC where I have had it previously at X voltage.

Thanx for reply. I've been overclocking since the Celeron 300A(ya I'm old) and never seen a cpu this sensitive to temperature. After running tests for the last week I have determined that it is the AVX instructions that is causing the BSOD's when the temp spikes over 71C. I just ordered a Second Radiator and some Coolaboratory Pro to put under the IHS to lower the Temps. If all goes well I should be able to do [email protected]

From what I've seen with the 4970k, even though it supposedly has improved TIM and additional capacitors to spread out the heat. The non ES chips that have come through the forum seem to have similar issues to the 4770k when it comes to heat. Delidding it and adding some Coollab pro should help the temps. Another choice is to run it nekked, though you already have an AIO kit for it. Ek sells a kit to put a water block directly on the DIE, just food for thought. :shrug:

The Intel NGPTIM on The 4790K is better than the 4770 but still far worse compared to solder. Hopefully Broadwell will not have the same heat issues.
Using CLP should give me good results as long as I apply it correctly. If not it's a good excuse to buy a new Supremacy EVO.

Back