• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Flow rate, temperatures and loop sequence

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Dieter01

Registered
I am planning a single loop system with two D5 pumps in series and 4 x 120.4 radiators. Only GPU's and CPU will be cooled. I will have an Aquaero 6 to run fans, pumps and lighting.

Now... I was planning to install a temp sensor as part of the pump top. The loop sequence that is simplest to route and would look the most clean is reservoir > pump -> GPU's -> CPU -> radiators. Now, ideally I would have liked to go to the CPU first and not the GPU. I was thinking that if I install a second temp sensor in between the CPU and radiators I can use the delta T before and after the radiators to adjust my pump speed. The higher the flowrate the smaller the temp difference should be at any point in the loop. I would probably top the pump rate at a certain % of max rpm though, just not to stress the system too much (the pumps themselves adding heat, plus increasing the pressure in the system).

What do you think?

Last edited:
The only important part of the order of a loop is res to pump. The rest doesn't matter. For temps, the max you will see is .5c difference between the warmest and coolest water. Unless you want 12 screaming Delta fans using 30w each at 60db each. Having the pumps run at 100% all the time doesn't stress the system. That's what they are designed to do. They can run like that 24/7 for 5 years. Just like you can run a CPU at 100% 24/7. The only stress is if you can hear them. I haven't used D5's is awhile, but if I remember, they have a whine to them. They only add 36w of heat. You don't meantion what or how many GPU's you have, but 120.16 rads have the power to cool 1600w, depending on the rads and fans, which you don't mention either. :)

Just as an example, I have a CPU/motherboard loop with 2 x MCP35X pumps with one 120.4 for a 4960X stock and my max load temps are high 30's low 40's. My GPU loop is 3 x 780TI Classifieds with 2 x MCP35X pumps, 2 x 120.4 XSPC AX and 1 x 120.2 XSPC AX rad and an hour of Furmark, the max temps on the GPU's was 42c.

Last edited:
I get your point, especially regarding the sequence of things. I am still curious if I should install that second temp sensor though. If its not possible to see internal differances in loop temperature, why would you run your pumps at anything but the lowest setting?

I get your point, especially regarding the sequence of things. I am still curious if I should install that second temp sensor though. If its not possible to see internal differances in loop temperature, why would you run your pumps at anything but the lowest setting?

You can, especially since its cheap. You don't need all the crazy things but if you're going with an Aquaero 6, I'd look at buying their end of the products like their D5s, Flow sensors, Temp probes etc. (If you're really nuts, grab their reservoir with their water line sensor + LED. lol) Sure add a few temp probes to see if they all reading similarly to give you a good estimate of your Delta-T. Its all for fun and that little stuff won't cost a ton.

I have 3 air temp probes and 3 water temp probes running. They give me an idea where my loop and ambient temps are at.

If I could redo my loop from the start, I'd be grabbing all the products from Aquaero since they work best with the Aquero, not to mention German's are great at engineering, and since there is nothing even close to a PWM controller or what that is capable of.

Back