• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I7 4790K gets hot with Prime 95

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Make sure that the block is making good contact with the CPU. Install the paste and let it run hot awhile. Take the block off and make sure you have a nice even coat on the CPU and block. There should be no gaps or holes with no TIM It generally should be nice and round on both.

Make sure that the block is making good contact with the CPU. Install the paste and let it run hot awhile. Take the block off and make sure you have a nice even coat on the CPU and block. There should be no gaps or holes with no TIM It generally should be nice and round on both.

Ok I'll test that out and see if there's no gap. Thanks for the suggestion.

It's possible there may be an issue with the Heatsink pump but I'm thinking it's most likely just the chip, I'll explain.

From what I've read and have first hand experience with is some of these Haswell chips just run hot. I have a 4770k, "see signature" and it's a beast of a chip to keep cool. I know the 4970k have been revised to help with the temps, having new TIM under the IHS and also additional capacitors on the die. Though, the majority of the non ES chips I've seen haven't proved to be all that much better when it comes to temps, they just run hot. With the 4770k's I personally have a heat monger, with mine I cannot go any higher then 4.4 Ghz @ 1.23 v on 4c/8T, due to temps. This is with a full custom loop which has a 360 rad cooling just the chip. I'm thinking it's possible that even with the improvements to the 4970k you may just have a similar chip to mine.

OK...that's hot. The 5xxx series has to run hotter. Same architecture, more cores and a 140w TDP.
Who knows temperature wise. The wattage though has nothing to do with temperature... I will go back to my bon fire/lighter example...

Q: Which is has a higher temperature? A bon fire with all yellow flames, or a lighter with a yellow flame?
A: They are both the same temperature. However a bonfire (140W CPU) clearly has more energy.

You also have to consider that the s2011-3 CPUs are soldered still (I believe) as compared to 4790K that uses (improved) TIM. Also, I am rocking a 5820K and it is running cooler than my 4930K ever did under the same cooling medium. So, it depends. ;)

You said 4400, so I assumed stock, but that's still way too hot for a 100MHz o/c even with the stock cooler, yet alone water. You don't have the best watercooling system, but anything is better than the cooler that comes with the CPU and even with that, those temps are way too high. Make sure your block is mounted correctly, the pump is working correctly, and there are no kinks in the tubing.

Hi, what water cooler would you suggest? The biggest one I could fit in my case is a 280mm. Thanks.

David

This Cooler Master 240mm AIO cooler is a pretty solid bang for your buck option.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103181&cm_re=seidon-_-35-103-181-_-Product

At $70 (after rebate), it's a lot cheaper than the Corsair alternatives.

Here's a comparison review.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6916/...-12-more-coolers-the-retest-and-megaroundup/6

Why do you want to go water, though? You'll get very similar temps with a high-end air cooler (Thermalright Spriit TRUE 140 Power, Noctua D14 or D15, or Phanteks) and it'll be substantially more quiet.

This Cooler Master 240mm AIO cooler is a pretty solid bang for your buck option.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103181&cm_re=seidon-_-35-103-181-_-Product

At $70 (after rebate), it's a lot cheaper than the Corsair alternatives.

Here's a comparison review.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6916/...-12-more-coolers-the-retest-and-megaroundup/6

Why do you want to go water, though? You'll get very similar temps with a high-end air cooler (Thermalright Spriit TRUE 140 Power, Noctua D14 or D15, or Phanteks) and it'll be substantially more quiet.

I'm not really sure why I got a cpu water cooler. I just assumed they were better then a non water cooler. Also I'm not sure if I can fit a Noctua CPU cooler in my case. I have a R9 295X2 with it's radiator and fan on the back top of my case and it's kind of close to the CPU.

I'm not really sure why I got a cpu water cooler. I just assumed they were better then a non water cooler. Also I'm not sure if I can fit a Noctua CPU cooler in my case. I have a R9 295X2 with it's radiator and fan on the back top of my case and it's kind of close to the CPU.

Time for a bigger case.
Or a custom one :D

DIY water cooling is better than air cooling, but not necessarily the all in one versions. There are some that are better than air, but most are equal to high end air. DIY water cooling will cost a lot more than 70$ or 150$. One radiator can be 150.00, but more like 100.00-200.00. A cheap water block is 50.00-65.00. Like Pharaoh says, you need the space in the case, but not really, there are parts like a Koolance rad holder that will hold a 120.4 off the back of the case.

I probably have close to 1500.00 just in water cooling stuff with the blocks, rads, pumps, reservoirs, tubing, fans, fittings, etc.

Most of the AIO kits are equal to or slightly better than top end air but in some cases like the Corsiar 100I with much more fan noise. If you can fit 280 Rad than the Kraken X61 is the way to go for AOI. The Swiftech 220-X is a great option because you can add additional Rads and blocks.

go with a custom loop with the 4790k and a top of the line block.
I use an EK supremecy block and a mo-ra 4x180 rad and the block sill cant carry enough heat out of the thing and I really don't think any of the kits have a chance at it, getting that many btu's out of that small of a cpu is just not going to happen with an all in one kit.

Ehh, it's an 80w cpu. The problem is in the TIM between the die and ihs... Not the block and ihs. If that were true, then AIO's could never cool a hex cpu... And it does... I know. I do it now (kraken x60).

O P - put the 295x2 rad on the rear exhaust. That way you have room for a rad on top. ;)

I currently have a NZXT X60. I replace the the two 140mm fans with Noctua fans that are design for rads and coolers and not standard Noctua case fans. I run them in extreme mode and have no issue with sound. I plan on replacing my R9 295x rad fan with a Noctua NF-P12 120mm. Do you think getting a second NF-P12 in push pull setup would provide any benefit?

I think I gave up on overclocking. I think 4ghz with 4.4ghz turbo is good enough for my needs.

Wow that's bad luck man, must have got one from a bad batch. My 4790K hits 70c at 4.4GHz and my stock voltage is 1.230V.

That's great. I have given up overclocking my 4790K. I'm happy at 4Ghz with 4.4Ghz turboboost. I have a R9 295X2 video card so the CPU really doesn't affect my games too much. If I knew my CPU couldn't overclock that well I would of save $30 and get the non-K version.

David

That's great. I have given up overclocking my 4790K. I'm happy at 4Ghz with 4.4Ghz turboboost. I have a R9 295X2 video card so the CPU really doesn't affect my games too much. If I knew my CPU couldn't overclock that well I would of save $30 and get the non-K version.

David
I get around 70-80c on blend test with stock intel heatsink @4GHZ 1.1275v
Don't use prime95 (small fft) to test temps on devils canyon it will get you up to 100c, apparently it triggers some AVX instructions which will stealthy overvolt your cpu, mine was drawing up to 130w of power at one point. AIDA64 will give you more realistic results just testing the CPU.

Last edited:
Back