• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

R9 270X CS doesnt WORK

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

adam31415

Registered
im trying to crossfire a r9 270 sapphire vaporx with a gigabyte windforce and i cant seem to get it to work. in trixx it says they are both running at x16 1.1 but the lanes i have are both x16 2.0. also sometimes one of the cards is clocked down to half of what it should be at. they both run driver version catalyst 14.7. although the second gpu has a slight different bios version.

If you looking at the 1.1 reading while the GPUs aren't under load, it will show 1.1 as they are idling. Put the cards under load and check the reading again.

are you sure thats the problem. i dont gain any noticeable performance increase in bf4. and yes i have crossfire turned on i catalyst control center.

- - - Updated - - -

are you sure thats the problem. i dont gain any noticeable performance increase in bf4. and yes i have crossfire turned on i catalyst control center. also the card doesnt show up in amd overdrive fyi.

Now I'm confused. How can crossfire be enabled if the card doesn't show up?

Amd overdrive is completely separate from ccc. It shows up in trixx, msi afterburner, gpuz just not amd overdrive.

played borderlands 2 with frapps to see what would happen and i get about a 70 fps boost in close range areas and 5-10 fps increase when there is stuff way in the background or in battle. Is there something special i have to do to make crossfire work in bf4

Grab GPU-z and open it up. It'll look like mine:

X-Fire.PNG

See the bottom box? If X-fire is enabled, it will say "enabled" there.
Now open up MSI Afterburner and run BF4 play for a bit then check the GPU usage of both cards in MSI AB. If the 2nd GPU's usage is low, then it's possible the game isn't using the 2nd card.

Screenshots of both GPU-z and MSI AB after gameing would be nice :)

This is why you dont crossfire in the first place, the performance of two cards is never anywhere near double or even 50% except for some applications or games other then that its a hit and miss situation.

Playclaw can overlay in game the core usages and temps ect of cpu and gpu, also download HWINFO and have it running the the background, it will show current, min, max clocks temps usage everything. Start HWINFO before gaming, play for a while and then inspect the data afterwards. http://www.hwinfo.com/

Now if crossfire is in fact not working dont expect the gains to be huge at all, id be willing to bet in the perfect situation two 270x crossfire is barely better then a 280x. Best advice is to buy a cheap GPU every second cycle, or buy a expensive one every four.

GL man sorry to be a downer but there are cold realities to PCs and i find many people are reaching and over hyping these things and expecting too much.

its been a while but just got back to looking at this. and upon looking at trixx while playing bf4 both cards read at pcie 2.0 x16. i still dont have an noticeable improvement in fps.

Are both cards a R9 270 or are you trying to CF a R9 270 and r9 270X?

This is why you dont crossfire in the first place, the performance of two cards is never anywhere near double or even 50% except for some applications or games other then that its a hit and miss situation.

Playclaw can overlay in game the core usages and temps ect of cpu and gpu, also download HWINFO and have it running the the background, it will show current, min, max clocks temps usage everything. Start HWINFO before gaming, play for a while and then inspect the data afterwards. http://www.hwinfo.com/

Now if crossfire is in fact not working dont expect the gains to be huge at all, id be willing to bet in the perfect situation two 270x crossfire is barely better then a 280x. Best advice is to buy a cheap GPU every second cycle, or buy a expensive one every four.

GL man sorry to be a downer but there are cold realities to PCs and i find many people are reaching and over hyping these things and expecting too much.
this is incorrect, most big title games see about 90% improvement with crossfire. bf4 should be one of those games.
yea back in the 48xx days it was maybe 60% but there have been great improvements since then.

Last edited:
Did you ever look to see if both GPU's are loaded? (GPU Usage% in AfterBurner while gameing)

this is incorrect, most big title games see about 90% improvement with crossfire. bf4 should be one of those games.
yea back in the 48xx days it was maybe 60% but there have been great improvements since then.

I see i believe the improvement figures you stated but i still dont think you could name another 5 games that would reach them.

Still strongly hands down would take a more expensive single card, or just replace a cheap card yearly or two.

I see i believe the improvement figures you stated but i still dont think you could name another 5 games that would reach them.

Still strongly hands down would take a more expensive single card, or just replace a cheap card yearly or two.
croiky m8 theres a ton of games that support it. yes that would be optimum a singe better card, and he was talking about playing bf4.

Back