• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I love messing with Best Buy employees

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Daddyjaxx

Every once in awhile I'll go to Best Buy and mess with the computer sales people. I'll ask stupid questions like how much L4 cache does the CPU have or how much DD4 memory. I'll keep them tied up for half an hour acting like I'm interested in their 400.00 computer. I can't believe how much they don't know about what they are selling. The pity is how many people that don't know computers may ask them if this computer can play newer games and they say yes. I guess they can if you want integrated graphics at frame rates at 10 FPS. I always walk away saying I'll think about it. I want to take out my IPhone and show them a picture of my PC and ask if they have anything that can compete with this. :)

I've thought about standing out front for people taking in their PC to have memory installed for 40.00 and like, you go buy their overpriced slow memory and I'll install it for 10.00 in my car trunk. :)

If I ever needed a second job, I'd love to work in computer sales there. I'd be honest with the customers and probably get fired. I'd lead somebody to the 400 computer and say if all you are doing is playing on the internet, balancing your checkbook, and playing solitaire, this is great for you. If you want to play Watchdogs decently, there's no computer sold here for you.

You'd be fired because you're a lousy salesman. You sell them an $800 computer then walk them over to the video card section and sell them an overpriced video card..... Come on man!! Then take them out to your car and install the video card for them...... LOL.

Just jerking your chain, but you are right, they really don't know much at all about what they are selling!

I don't really think they are looking to sell anything to enthusiasts, simply e-mail and facebook users are what I believe to be the demographic they are targetinging.

Micro Center is not much better, however I did run into a guy there that was up to speed once.

Lol, it's best buy. That store doesn't remotely cater to enthusiasts in the first place. Messing with most best buy employees is like winning the special olypics without being special. :p

April, 2013, my wife's lappy "caught" the FBI Ransomeware bug. A little googling using my (problem-free) rig, and hers up and running. Total time: 1 hour. A few minutes later, close friends called and had the same crap on their lappy and desktop. They'd called BB and were quoted $450 to repair their machines. I told them to keep their money and let me eliminate the problem. Two hours later, they were up and running, too. I almost had to beg them to let me keep them from the clutches of the "Geek Squad" and it was touch-n-go for a while because they, like so many folks, think BB is the answer to all computer problems. I honestly don't know if they do good work or not. I've heard the horror stories, but I've always managed to solve my own problems. It might take a few days, but I don't have to fork over any cash, either.

BTW: The steak dinner our friends treated us to was especially delicious!

If I'm in a store like that, I avoid the salesmen at all costs. Only because they usually don't know what I'm trying to find, and annoyingly suggest the purchase of anti-virus with any new PC, along with other crap...

But, on the other hand... Some of them know enough. And more than your average tech dummy :) lol

You've got your bad-*** employee, who's got an eMachine with the ram maxed out, a huge hard drive, and a $200 video card. But it's still got a celeron. Hey, atleast it'll play games.

I try to be respectful with anyone in retail, but once they reveal their stupidity, it's hard to be polite while trying to get them to stop following you haha

My girlfriend is the manager of Easy Tech at the local staples. She said once a woman went in there adamant about buying a $1000 computer with an i7 because somebody she knew said it would load Facebook faster. :rolleyes:

And a couple days ago a customer came in and asked her for "somebody in the computer department".

GF: "Yes ma'am, how may I help you today?"
Cust: "No, I mean somebody who works on computers."
GF: "Yes ma'am, that would be me, how may I help you today."
Cust: "I mean somebody who actually fixes them."
GF: "Ma'am, I am the manager of this department. How may I help you today?"

:rolleyes:

They go in there with pre-conceived notions in the first place. Even making a reasonable suggestion to help save them money does no good because they always have a "friend" who told them otherwise.

She also admitted that she makes up a lot of stuff while she's at work because... there's no training. The company gives them a job and just expects them to make the company money; they don't give them a course on how electronics work. If it doesn't expressly say it on the box, they don't know. She's even called me from work a couple of times to ask me things. :rofl:

One time I called there for a computer for somebody that come into where I work (I work in a bodyshop and they just needed a simple computer THAT DAY) and I asked if it had a PCIE x16 slot so they could transfer their GPU over that was able to connect to their projector. My girlfriend AND the previous manager at the time were both confused and didn't know what it was, and were looking on the box and didn't see it listed. I said "Most likely it does. Just hold it for him, he's on his way." :rofl:

Before she landed the manager position they wanted me to go work there. They still do, I just wouldn't be able to work on days that she works. I think I'd pull my hair out with some of the customers she talks about coming in there.

I went in there one day to waste time a few months ago and while I was looking at laptops I found several price/description labels that were incorrect.
After I pointed out the second label that was wrong they refused to talk to me anymore.

The Microcenter in Dulth, GA. where I used to live was good. The guys in the parts section were knowledgeable and typically honest with people.

The only think that I didn't like about them is I would walk in there knowing exactly what I wanted, which typically was locked up. I'd ask the salesman what to get for me and they want to slap their commission label on the item. I always ripped it off. You unlocking a cabinet because your company keeps the good stuff locked up does not entitle you to a commission in my opinion.

daddyjaxx, the mc at duluth is pretty good, they have one guy that will shut up and get you what your after and ask if you need anything else, my kind of salesman.

I could care less if they smack their sticker on there for getting me a cpu. Seriously, who cares that they do that? It doesn't bother me in the least. Who are you(we) to judge what they get commission on? They helped you by getting the cpu. They have to, sure, but come on. Next.time, give the man the pittance of a commission for getting you that cpu. :)

Anyway, the MC around here isn't bad. At least a couple of them are solid.

The MC in Duluth wouldn't sell you what you didn't need. If all somebody did was play on the internet and Facebook, they would recommend the parts just for that. I loved living there. The Fry's was less than a mile away and the MC was about 2 miles away. Computer Geek heaven.

before they built the mall i lived on cardinal lake right next to it, the mall killed to things, the ***** house/ truck stop and a great place to ride dirt bikes!!!

If you think BestBuy is wussy, think again. I think Staples is worse.....

Try getting a video card at Staples! At least, Best Buy has something reasonable for a video card selection in comparison.

Try getting a video card at Staples! At least, Best Buy has something reasonable for a video card selection in comparison.

My first graphics card I bought from Staples. It was before I knew about Newegg... I probably overpaid for it by a lot, but it was a 9500GT (didn't have a whole lot of money and they didn't have a good selection) and it was ok. At least it was a current card at the time. I went there a couple years ago just to see what they had and the prices. All they had were old Geforce 6200s and Radeon 9250s for around $80.

I just burst out laughing as hard as I could.

They don't sell any computer parts anymore... just software and whole computers. Even the computers they've been downgrading their selection so they can carry more phones and tablets. :rolleyes:

One thing 'good' about Best Buy is that they are consistant: 14 years ago they advertised an item in the Sunday newspaper, but didn't have it in stock when I ran right down to the store to purchase it.

Just a couple weeks ago I found an "in stock at store" item that I wanted, so I ran right down to the store to purchase it. It was deja vu all over again...BB didn't have it. <sigh>

Be smarter an ad that has no idea what the stock of any store is its advertising for. Look it up online before you leave. Save yourself some hassle and reason to complain. :)

Back