• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Stress test/no stress test

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Cherev

Registered
Hi,

CPU: fx8320
MOBO: m5a99fx pro r2
Cooler: Hyper TX3

I upped my cpu to 4ghz from 3.5 by increasing multi from 17.5 to 20 but leaving voltages at auto.

When I game my socket temp stays under 60 and core temp under 50.

When I stress test with intel burn test (3runs only) max socket temp is 74 and core temp 60 (too high for my comfort so I aborted the test).

Is there a chance I will get data corruption when gaming/doing other everyday stuff(assuming socket<60 and core<50), even though I havent done a 2hr intel burn stability test?

Cheers,

Last edited:
The temps you see using IBT are just almost higher than considered safe. Not that immediate meltdown will follow but socket <72c and core/package less than <62c are suggested to be maintained for at least 2 hours of P95 blend test mode. This to be fairly certain the system will be stable for 24/7 use in doing most applications.

We see a lot of people with marginal system cooling and running the really hOt runnning 8 core FX processors that tend to want to know if they can 'get by' without stress testing since their temps rise pretty quickly. To test or not to test is up to you. I test. Others test. YMMV.

I see two problems:

Hyper TX3 <----Not really a great cooler for a Fx 8xxx chip

leaving voltages at auto.<---When leaving the voltage on Auto the motherboard will most likely be giving the Cpu more voltage then it needs.

Your best bet is to read this thread and OC it using either the offset or manual voltage. You would most likely be able to OC it to X Mhz with less voltage then when leaving the voltage on Auto.

Back