• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

RIP X99 Deluxe?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Hippogriff

I was playing BF4 this morning when the computer suddenly shut down.

Now it simply does not post anymore. I spent the last 1.5 hours clearing the CMOS, playing around with the RAM, putting my old PSU, removing everything, etc.. and I cannot go beyond the PSU click.
The lights on the mobo are on, but nothing more.

Eventually I also tried to flash the BIOS. It seems that it is actually doing something (I guess that, if the BIOS was OK, the corresponding update LED would not blink), but nothing. I think it's dead.

Any other suggestions?

And, should I bring it back to Microcenter or should I go through ASUS RMA process?

Did you try using Flashback?

FWIW this is the second X99 Deluxe I've seen do this exact same thing on OCF...

Yep. I tried to use the Flashback. It seems working (i.e. the light blink for some minutes), but nothing.

I wonder if I can exchange it with another motherboard.... (I doubt)

Did you try using Flashback?

FWIW this is the second X99 Deluxe I've seen do this exact same thing on OCF...

Yep. I tried to use the Flashback. It seems working (i.e. the light blink for some minutes), but nothing.

I wonder if I can exchange it with another motherboard.... (I doubt)

You should be able to exchange it for another model or even get a refund.

I've seen couple of articles about dead X99 boards. The same as in early X79 boards also here are weaker series it seems. Mainly power section issues.

So far my MSI works good and I hope it won't change as store where I bought it already got many RMA from me.
I also checked power section on my board and it's not getting hot. I think it's running cooler than on X79 boards that I had.

When SB+P67 boards came out I had 3 dead CPUs and 2 dead motherboards + 1.5 month waiting for B2 to B3 mobo replacement so in over a half year I was benching it for about a month in total ... and then I had a lot of time for tests.
Now I got the cheapest mobo and so far it's working. When will be improved motherboards and newer CPU stepping with ( hopefully ) higher OC potential then I will lose less money on selling it.
If I got review sample of 5960X then I would probably buy ASUS RVE but I have too low budget to buy all the top series.

Like Microcenter. They completely refunded the mobo.

Now I have to decide what to buy and hope that the CPU is still OK. I'll definitely buy a cheaper one...

If you are not pushing to the max then MSI X99S SLI Plus seem fine and it's one of the cheapest options available. There are still results near 6GHz on this board. I haven't seen any reviews or overclocking results on cheaper ASRocks or Gigabyte so it's hard to compare. It's like get something cheap or pay premium for ASUS RVE or ASRock OCF.

I was thinking something around $300. For instance, the UD5 is nice, but Gigabyte seems to have problems....

PS: the ASRock OCF is $330, but it is worth for someone that not want do serious OC but wants features?

I'm only saying that I have that MSI and all is working fine. BIOS could be better but maybe they will improve it. It's not like there are problems but I always wish better memory overclocking ;)
I also like that there is standard Intel NIC and not these magical gaming NICs that are not really better but all have problems with drivers. Except that it has about everything the same as other, more expensive boards. There can be little differences with additional features. MSI Gaming look almost the same but have different heatsinks.
http://www.newegg.com/global/uk/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130796
$228 and there is free mouse or something as a gift.
Link to MSI site -> http://www.msi.com/product/mb/X99S-SLI-PLUS.html#hero-overview

Why not an X99 Extreme6?
Compared to the Deluxe those are a lot cheaper. Definitely a strong board, good feature set.

Completely agree about Killer LAN
The MSI is nice and I would like a MSI board, but it seems to be really inferior to $280-330 (that is amply in my budget) mobos like UD5, WS, OCF, Gaming G1. But, maybe, it's just an impression.
I have also this feeling that pairing a top notch CPU with the cheapest mobo is not smart, but maybe (probably) I'm wrong...

Extreme6 is blue, I would like to stick to yellow/red/black

Most X99 boards look almost the same. Probably all MSI from classic/gaming series have 8 phase power section. Some other boards have 6-8 phases. Highest series have some more but they cost almost twice as much.
I was also comparing this cheapest MSI to gaming series and they look almost the same. So you pay $100+ for LAN, different heatsinks and bigger box. The same is with most manufacturers, that's why I said that you decide on a cheapest board ( MSI, ASRock, whatever ) or get ASUS RVE or ASRock OCF. I don't know what about GB OC series but so far I haven't seen anyone using it for benching.

All X99 series are high end stuff so there is no bad board. There are only good or better. The only thing that you have to check is if manufacturer made good bios. Since you already know that there are problems with some GB and you don't want most expensive series then your choice is really limited.

If you have a budget for the x99 OC Formula I would roll with that hands down, mine is on the way :)

With new tech it is difficult as there are alway bumps in the road no matter who's board you are using,

History tells us Nick is on top of the BIOS updates so if there is a hick up he jumps right on it.

His memory profiles typically are strong and works with retail

Conformal if you are a water cooler can not ever hurt

Ahhh ... I should work for these guys ..... :rofl:

Back