• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Ranking of Windows versions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
You are a god.

You have no idea how frustrated I get when my GPU's lock up and the CPU is barely keeping up when mining goes south.
Or when the 270x decides to go haywire. :p

Thanks a TON for that little program :clap:

Windows 8.1 is fine as long as I have the real start menu and I don't need to look at the tiles. Classic shell took care of that. If you notice, I even changed the start orb. I'm really anal when it comes to my icons. I like black icons. The default ones have to go. A little registry hack for the control panel and recycle bin icons cycling correctly is all it takes. Classic shell lets you change the orb.

One time I called and they wouldn't activate windows. It was an upgrade from 7 Home Premium to Pro. It ticked me off because I had only used it on one PC. They told me the key was on their blacklist. I have never and will never share anything on a torrent like that. I have no clue how it got on their list. I was really ticked off on that one.

Windows XP:

By far the best imo.

Aside from the teletubby (looking back) style UI, and the large security holes that can be avoided if you are not a 80 year old grandmother, or if you install a firewall, it's simply the best.

Rearrange shortcuts and folders wherever on the desktop/inside directories (impossible after Windows Vista, unless im missing something)

Search doggy who actually knows what he's doing. Finds everything, options wether or not to search inside of files, etc. (Windows Vista and after fail in finding things quite commonly)

Massive compatibility. Halo 2 Vista even worked on XP with a little finagling.

2. Windows 7:

XP's presumptive heir.

Supports DX11
Improves upon Vista's failings
Allows completely turning off UAC (Windows 8 only acts like it turns it off, when slider is at bottom, must use registry hack to fully turn it off.)
Supports desktop gadgets (which I love, how I can glance and see my CPU/RAM usage and temps)

Everything before XP I have little/no experience with.

Here is what I think the order from best to worst is:

1) Windows XP
2) Windows 7
3) Windows 2000
4) Windows Me
5) Windows 98/98 SE
6) Windows 95 OSR2
7) Windows Vista
8) Windows 8/8.1
9) Windows NT 4.0
10) Windows NT 3.51
11) Windows for Workgroups 3.0