• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Ranking of Windows versions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
MS promised the "real" start menu back in Win 8.1 by August. I guess they haven't delivered it yet. I still have the free version of Classic start 8.

I never said is was a service pack. I just wasn't expecting that many updates.

I used Win8 from almost day one. I paid like 29.99 or 39.99 for it. At least it remembered my computer from last week and it activated on its own. MS has admitted the tiles were a mistake. That's what they get for listening to external analysts. Most people don't have touchscreen computers. If I used a Surface, that would be fine.

Windows 9 is coming. Soon, we'll be semi-free from the tiles! Later this month we should get a tech preview install (or so I hear.) I wonder if there will be any actual improvements over windows 7, or if it'll just be roughly on par.

Maybe if they segregate direct X 12 on windows 9, I'll have a reason to update. I don't know of any interesting games in the works that are likely to use it, though.

With my GT 430, I'm already looking to upgrade anyways, so I'm okay :D

Maybe you'll get lucky and it won't require a hardware change. It's not really the same kind of update as the other direct X versions have been.

MS promised the "real" start menu back in Win 8.1 by August. I guess they haven't delivered it yet.
There will be no real Start Menu in Windows 8.
They will use that as a selling point for Windows 9

AND STILL Classic Shell Start Menu has more options today than Windows 9 Start Menu will have when it is released.
Classic Shell would have given you the real Windows 7 Start Menu under Widows 8 on day 1.

The review says that Windows 8 UI is horrible. I agree. I am not saying positive things about Windows 8 UI, I am saying positive things about Classic Shell which completely removes the bad experience and allows a quick way out of the torture that Metro UI is for most people.

Are you getting paid by MS? There are many, many reviews like this one. http://www.infoworld.com/d/microsoft-windows/windows-8-review-yes-its-bad-200113

theres a better place for this, theres approx 10 different threads whining about how "terrible" the awesome new UI is, And because all you whiners we (the people who used it for more than an hour and love it) we are losing in windows 9 and it makes me sad.

heres a few threads you can go cry about the "terrible" ui in enjoy.

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php/748958-8-1-The-worst-ever-made

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/...-and-Cons-of-Windows-8-over-previous-versions

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php/736258-Windows-8-The-Times-They-Are-a-Changin

theres a better place for this, theres approx 10 different threads whining about how "terrible" the awesome new UI is, And because all you whiners we (the people who used it for more than an hour and love it) we are losing in windows 9 and it makes me sad.

heres a few threads you can go cry about the "terrible" ui in enjoy.

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php/748958-8-1-The-worst-ever-made

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/...-and-Cons-of-Windows-8-over-previous-versions

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php/736258-Windows-8-The-Times-They-Are-a-Changin
The tiles are fugly.

Now, I can use Win 8, I've gotten used to it. My only grief is on that "Start" screen when all the tiles appear, I don't see a tile for Windows explorer? That and I sometimes get lost in it :p
So I installed Classic Shell. Much better and I don't want to rip Windows 8 out and install 7 anymore.

Classic Shell gives you an option to switch between Metro and Start Menu:
SHIFT+CLICK on Start Menu and Classic Shell is gone
or
Press Escape and Metro is gone.

In other words Classic Shell does not remove Metro - only gives you a quick and easy choice.

If anything actually gets taken out of Windows 9, I'm sure Classic Shell will try make it so that you can get it back with a "press of a button."
The discussions were never supposed to be about which is better, but about who and why is trying to impose one way or another onto everyone!?
This is about choice vs. no choice.

People get TRAPPED into arguing about this, they immediately assume this is about one vs another. They don't realize Classic Shell takes nothing away, it only gives you a choice. In other words IF you do not like metro then it is foolish to install Windows 7 when Classic Shell gives you Windows 7 with an option, just an option, to permanently or temporarily switch to Metro, with a single click, or switch away from Metro to Windows 7 Classic permanently or temporarily, with a single click.

Why are people repeatedly wanting to argue Classic vs. Metro. Our common enemy are chief developers who approve taking options away from us.

Why are people repeatedly wanting to argue Classic vs. Metro. Our common enemy are chief developers who approve taking options away from us.
because a lot have no idea how easy it is to switch would be one reason...

But let's bring this back on topic please like wagex tried to do... rank your windows version... and not get too terribly deep into this specific, rehashed hundreds of times subject of classic shell vs Metro. :)

Rank using what criteria, I'm not sure I understand the topic?

If people have problems, it's 9/10 times due to user error. I have a quadruple boot with everything installed identically on Windows 7/XP/8/Vista.
Clearly Windows 8 boots fastest and is snappier than the other three. But if it wasn't for Classic Shell, I would not be able to use Windows 8 past the initial torture of 30 days I tried it without Classic Shell, just to make sure this is not about me 'getting used' to having to jump through circus hoops of Metro.

I like how you can move files and icons and group them under Windows XP, you cannot do that under Windows 7/8 anywhere except on their desktop. Auto-arrange is mandatory under Windows 7/8 and that sucks big time. Windows XP does not use BCD so it's an excellent choice for a dual boot with any present or future version of Windows.
Last time I checked, Windows 7 has a major memory bug when checking large external drives for errors.

So Windows 8 / Windows XP dual boot is the best way to go.
There's no reason to go Windows 7 because of Classic Shell.

Rank using what criteria, I'm not sure I understand the topic?

If people have problems, it's 9/10 times due to user error. I have a quadruple boot with everything installed identically on Windows 7/XP/8/Vista.
Clearly Windows 8 boots fastest and is snappier than the other three. But if it wasn't for Classic Shell, I would not be able to use Windows 8 past the initial torture of 30 days I tried it without Classic Shell, just to make sure this is not about me 'getting used' to having to jump through circus hoops of Metro.

I like how you can move files and icons and group them under Windows XP, you cannot do that under Windows 7/8 anywhere except on their desktop. Auto-arrange is mandatory under Windows 7/8 and that sucks big time. Windows XP does not use BCD so it's an excellent choice for a dual boot with any present or future version of Windows.
Last time I checked, Windows 7 has a major memory bug when checking large external drives for errors.

So Windows 8 / Windows XP dual boot is the best way to go.
There's no reason to go Windows 7 because of Classic Shell.

Ranking by what YOU think are the best M$ OS's from best to worst. ;)

personal opinion breh, yes you can actually use you opinion on forums :O zomg

C6...8.1 up and running with Classic Shell. Win8 activated, Win8.1 did not. I had to go through the phone madness. When they ask you how many computers has this OS been installed on, do they really check or do they just wait a second to say verified? :)

Win81.jpg

Like I said Windows 8.1 is more like a new OS install, rather than a simple upgrade of 8.0, so it's treated like a new install and checks against their data base I guess. I only activated 8.0 and never went to 8.1 because an antivirus and a firewall program I use work on 8.0 but not on 8.1. I don't know what would happen if I went to 8.1 and they asked me to re-activate. I can't help you with that but maybe others can.

If you don't like Charms, Classic Shell can disable Charms.
You can also customize that Start Menu in more ways then you will ever be able to under future Windows 9 Start Menu. The only place Windows 8 is a "problem" is at work where they may not allow you to install Classic Shell, otherwise, you're set as far as UI goes.

I particularly like the Reboot and Shutdown I placed in my Windows 8 Start Menu. My Start Menu may not look great but it's functional for me.
I designed the ugly Windows XP Start Button from scratch myself when I heard Microsoft said we can't have the Start Menu any more :p:

Attachments

• Start Menu.png
    Start Menu.png
    37 KB · Views: 119
It's either this:

Attachments

• SuicideBooth.jpg
    SuicideBooth.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 120
Back