• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Ranking of Windows versions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Daddyjaxx

I was thinking about the best MS operating systems in ranking since Windows 95. I don't want to go before 95 because there were very few PC's before that. Do you agree or disagree with this? This is only for PC's and not servers.

1. Windows 95
2. XP
3. 7
4. 8
5. 98
6. Vista
7. Millenium

Personally, I hate Windows 8. I upgraded to it on Thursday and restored my system from backup back to 7 yesterday. I hate IE too. I use Chrome.

1. 98
2. XP
3. 7
4. ME
5. Vista
6. 8

Never used 95, oddly though, I used 3.1 for a while for fun :screwy:

98, XP, 7 are all very stable, though I'd put 7 & XP as a tie for 2nd.
Vista is annoying like IE is slow, and 8 is just a mistake altogether.
ME was quirky with it's system restore bugs and whatnot, but I worked with it for years and it was solid until the day my HDD died.

But yes, your right in your listing :)

If we count best as most stable with easier hardware access and various features then there is no way that you could add old systems before new. If you count best as what you liked the most then maybe this ranking will be good.

For me it's like:

Best system in general

1) Win 8/8.1
2) 7
3) Vista
4) XP
5) 98
6) ME
6) 95

I'm counting hardware compatibility, general features and other stuff for daily usage but also stability ( or my experience with that ). You may not like Win8/8.1 but it has the largest driver database and has many additional features that make you work easier with additional hardware or configure it faster. It's like Win7+ so even that I hate that new menu and some other options then I can't say that system overall is bad. Vista is like Win7-. Many the same features but works slower. Still have some advantage over XP in graphics etc.

List that I liked the most:

1) 7
2) XP
3) 8/8.1
4) Vista
5) 98
6) ME
7) 95

Here it's more like what I was using for a long time and didn't want to change it or what caused less issues with configuration, stability etc what in general gives me best memories of using this system.
XP is the fastest in single threaded operations but it's not as stable as Win7/8. It's also the longest supported system with significant improvements over all these years so all remember it as a good system.

I love how everyone seems to forget Windows 2000 (Not Server), such as when people say every other operating system M$ release is good (i.e. 98, XP, 7, 9?) So my order would be this

1) 7
2) 2000
3) XP
4) 98SE
5) 8/8.1
6) 95B
7) Millennium
8) Vista

1. W7
2. XP
3. W2K
4. 98SE
5. W8
6. Vista
7. ME

The first 6 are grouped together fairly tight, while ME I almost left off the list!

9/10 people who post that, do so because they do not know that Windows 8 UI can be made to look EXACTLY LIKE Windows 7, I hope you know that there is no need to uninstall Windows 8 because of the UI. It can be made to look exactly like Windows 7.
http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php/750333-Downgrading-Samsung-Ativ-book-9-lite
LOL, like a heroin dealer on a corner, you peddle that W8 C6!!! :)

Do you realize how many hours of time computer-literate people spend trying to downgrade to Windows 7 soon after installing Windows 8 for the first time?

For most, the reason is UI and nothing else. Why are we all not telling them how to have [Windows 7 - looking] Windows 8 in 30 seconds instead of sending them on a multi-hour time waster of a pointless downgrade? :shrug: Lots of good Karma to be had by saving just 1 person from that frustration because of all the little problems devices have when you downgrade them.

I love how everyone seems to forget Windows 2000 (Not Server), such as when people say every other operating system M$ release is good (i.e. 98, XP, 7, 9?) So my order would be this

Just because 2000 was more like worstation system, not home. It was something like mix of system for work and home usage but wasn't as cheap as standard home systems and was designed on a NT core. Personally I liked Win 2000 more than early XP.

Even though most people will say they dislike MS, they still keep using their systems as there is no other option which has so good support from every side ( I mean software and hardware manufacturers ). People are just used to that and will keep using it. Also business environment trust MS and will keep using it if it's good or not.

1) Windows 3.11

My rating is based on how cool I thought the operating systems were when I was younger and I'm not including any external facts or basic reasoning in my decision. Therefore, I'm right and you are all wrong. QED

1. windows 8.1 / server 2012 r2
2. nope, nothing comes close. but if i had to pick it was 7.
why would i go further? w8.1 = the best OS ever. anyone who disagrees is completely senile.

this is not opinion this is fact. perhaps loosely defined as so. but it is. because i said so, no cares given.

Last edited:
9/10 people who post that, do so because they do not know that Windows 8 UI can be made to look EXACTLY LIKE Windows 7, I hope you know that there is no need to uninstall Windows 8 because of the UI. It can be made to look exactly like Windows 7.
http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php/750333-Downgrading-Samsung-Ativ-book-9-lite

I have also found that Windows 8 seems to be very much like Vista in the way that it runs great when you have hardware fully optimized for it, though not as bad as what Vista was. It doesn't seem to scale as well as Windows 7 for some reason on all systems and will develop really weird issues. I was working on a 6 month old HP Envy, had to do a full re-install for the customer as they were selling the laptop, and several updates kept failing on a fresh install, and the update to 8.1 failed 5 times before finally working. I personally don't mind Windows 8 and even use it on one of my HTPCs.

I have also found that Windows 8 seems to be very much like Vista in the way that it runs great when you have hardware fully optimized for it, though not as bad as what Vista was. It doesn't seem to scale as well as Windows 7 for some reason on all systems and will develop really weird issues. I was working on a 6 month old HP Envy, had to do a full re-install for the customer as they were selling the laptop, and several updates kept failing on a fresh install, and the update to 8.1 failed 5 times before finally working. I personally don't mind Windows 8 and even use it on one of my HTPCs.

i run a full x32 install on my tablet has an ancient 800mhz core solo and 1gb of ram and a 40gb hdd it runs great on it :) better than xp tablet edition did

I love how everyone seems to forget Windows 2000 (Not Server), such as when people say every other operating system M$ release is good (i.e. 98, XP, 7, 9?)

I have NEVER seen a computer with 2000. NEVER.

You haven't looked hard enough ;)
I never really used it, more like it was installed on this PC I got and it was toast.

Does Neptune count? I use that

I have NEVER seen a computer with 2000. NEVER.
I have Windows 2000 installed on everything except my main rig and main laptop. What else is better to dual boot and image/reimage Windows XP on classic Athlon XP machines? I have three Windows 2000/XP dual boot machines in the house and one Windows 98/2000 dual boot laptop.
Imaging them is a breeze from Windows 2000.

I used 2000. It was like 98 with 64 bit support. The only reason I ranked 95 first is because it was a huge step from 3.x. I used to install it from like 8 floppies.

Windows 8 is generally considered a flop. It's not that I totally hate it, but when I installed it last week, I had a BSOD installing it because of one of my RAID drives. When I restored Win 7, it totally broke my RAID with all of my music, pictures, documents, and everything. I had to restore it too. I actually had to use disk part to clean and delete a volume and recreate the RAID. Do they have 8.1 exactly like the correct start menu now? I'm not using Classic 8 to get a start menu back.

Windows 7
Windows XP
98SE

I never had the opportunity to try windows 2000. I've used windows 8 and 8.1, and dislike them strongly. They're only a small step down from windows 7......
but they're a step down from windows 7. Why on earth would you pay money for a worse product?
It sets a really bad precedent. Microsoft needs that mindset shattered forever.

I've reinstalled Windows 8. I have 109 freaking updates totaling about 1 GB before I can upgrade to 8.1. They promised the real start menu back by August. It had better be there. What's stupid is that I had to uninstall my network and bluetooth drivers even though they were for Windows 8 too. Granted Win8 has it's own for both, but this is a lot of freaking updates.

9-16-2014 12-11-32 AM.jpg

Windows 8.1 is *not* a Service Pack, that is why they did not call it a SP - it's more of an OS reinstall from 8.0 rather than a simple update.

They promised the real start menu back by August. It had better be there.

Daddyjaxx - read post #6 of this thread, your own thread.

There is no need to wait for the Start Menu, you can have now and have it in 30 seconds and pretty much remove ALL UI problems. Windows 8 BECOMES Windows 7 after you install Classic Shell, try it and you'll see.

HeyLook.gif

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/...-book-9-lite?p=7732667&viewfull=1#post7732667

Last edited:
Back