• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Please help me choose a new cpu cooler.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
If you can get the TRUE Spirit 140 Power in your case it will cool as good as anything out there, abd if you put a more powerful fan like the TY-143 on it you will get 6-7c more cooling.
TS140PTY-143graph_zps35d445d0.jpg

I am thinking positively at the true 140! So i can add a second fan or change the first? Is there any specific type of fans to look for cpu heatsinks or its the same as case fans? I think it will fit. The only problem is if my high end corsair vengeance will be compatible. And if i can install it to blow out to my exhaust and not from up to down at the gpu like now my corsair a50 does.

TRUE will exhaust out the rear. Comes with TY-140 or 147. It's a great fan. The TY-143 is just the high speed version. That's why it cools a bit better. You sacrifice noise, though. My TY-140 is almost inaudible over case fans and GPU at 1300 RPM (its max). The TY-143 (I don't have it personally...yet ;)) is said to be quite loud at its max (2500, I think?), but the CFM/noise ratio is still outstanding.

Just make sure the TRUE's height fits your case. It is pretty tall.

Here are reviews of the original TRUE 140 and new 140 Power from two of our members, muddokter and lennyrhys!

http://www.overclockers.com/thermalright-true-spirit-140-heatsink-review/

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/...t-140-Power-Review-and-Comparison-with-NH-D14

Last edited:
Damn i think it won't fit. I measured my case inside width and as far as tall cpu cooler can install is maximum 170mm. True is 170. So i think it will be a risk buying and trying to fit in there. Damn. And i am in love with the little monster :(
Anyone have a clue. Dare it or not? Or turn to the phanteks solution?

I have seen also the thermalright mach revo which is a little bit shorter like 150.is this as good as 140?or at least as good as phanteks PH-TC12DX? I am eager to start overclocking :D

Last edited:
Except the enermax i don't know the others you posted. I sure is no compare to phanteks or the true spirit

You are correct. They do not have as much cooling ability.

Macho doesn't either.

What case do you have? Side panels often have enough flex to squeeze a little more under them.

What would TRUE Spirit 140 Power cost you?

170mm is lots of clearance, and most coolers are shorter than 171mm tall.

I have thermaltake shark with side honeycomb panel. Thermalright true 140 will cost me around 50 euros which is normal. Please tell me that i can squeeze it in!

I can't find a review that even mentions max CPU cooler height (I only went through a whole page of them...). It would be cutting it close, certainly, but if I were a gambling man if probably try it.

You could always return it if it doesn't fit.

I think the old spirit 140 and the new 140 power are both 170mm tall and I fit the former into an Antec 300 (very tight fit) and a Fractal Arc Midi (easy fit).

If you wanted to be more certain, I would google "thermaltake shark review" and just skim through all of them. They can't ALL be as worthless as the 5 or so I saw...

I have searched for it yesterday and i either couldn't find any review. Today i will upgrading my psu so i will measure it for sure. Any if its too tight i am thinking of cutting the honeycomb part that will touch the top of cooler. I am a bit of a gambling man!

When I first bought my true 140 and had the Antec 300, I had a very similar issue. I couldn't find anywhere online where the max height compatibility was specifically listed. Keep reading reviews. There were several pages of them. I only looked at the first 4-5. Another thing you can look for are forum posts where people mention what cooler they have in the case. Then find that cooler size and compare.

When you measure, do so from the CPU to the side rather than the motherboard surface to the side since that's what the cooler will rest on.

"It will fit."
There, now you have been told. I'm not saying it a true statement, but you didn't ask for the truth, only to be told it would fit. :D

1mm isn't much. With that honey comb grill over the CPU area you should have no problems. I think it's worth the gamble. :D Most sidecovers flex more then that and only the tips of a couple of the heatpipes will touch if at all. I've "forced" sidecovers on before, and will probably be doing it again at some point.

Forcing it is a bad idea. More pressure on the motherboard and the pressure might not even be straight down (you probably have to slide the side door to close it...).

"Force" is a relative term. Not much force will be needed for 1mm of flex in a side cover. The amount of "force" required to fit the side cover probably wouldn't be enough to break an egg.

Besides, once we know where the cooler might touch, we can "force" a dimple in the cover so it doesn't even touch. ;)

Bad news folks. Today i. Installed my. Ax760 and i measured the max distance fron cpu base to honeycomb. It's maximum 170mm so i think i won't be forcing it(true 140). So i may finally purchase the 120 version of phanteks.

The Phanteks is a great cooler and it matches your color theme which is why I recommended it in the first place. Honestly +/-2-3c really isn't going to change your system performance unless you're doing extreme overclocking. By extreme I mean Sub Zero cooling. I have no doubt you'll be satisfied with it. Again, just make sure you can fit it over your Monster Ram sticks.

I checked a pic with the dimensions of phanteks. The lower distance is 37mm and my rams are 52mm tall. Why all things are against me???

Back