• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Please help me choose a new cpu cooler.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

distrot

Registered
So recently i kind of slowly upgrade all of my components. I have a blue theme running at my rig(blue mobo, blue led fan cases etc.). I currently have a fx 4100 cooled by corsair a50. I will overclock it and in the future upgrade the mobo and fx 8350. But for the time i want to overclock it. Is there any decent blue themed cpu cooler with led? I have checked zalman cnps9900 blue led. Is it good. I really like thermaltake spin and thermaltake nic c5 but it's red colored.
Any ideas?
Thanks.

Also at a local shop theres currently running a discount at coolermaster v8 gts at 66 euros. Except that is red led themed is it worth it the massive size? The looks is awsome i know but it is cooling efficient?

I would list the Zalman CNPS 9900 as "good". It is not as good as your top of the line Noctua or Phanteks, but it will allow a nice mild overclock. If you're planning the FX8350 I would go straight for the Phanteks PH-TC14PE (assuming you have the room). No LEDs, but very good and follows your theme.

Definitly make sure either one will fit though. They both are pretty tall.

PH-TC14PE_BL_1.png

Also at a local shop theres currently running a discount at coolermaster v8 gts at 66 euros. Except that is red led themed is it worth it the massive size? The looks is awsome i know but it is cooling efficient?

What ever you do the CM-V8 isn't a good cooler for the money you pay. Unless it has improved a lot over the last couple of years. I have one and it's only slightly better than the Hyper 212 IMO

I have read i couple reviews for the v8 gts and they weren't good enough!!Damn! But it looks like a beast!!!!

I would list the Zalman CNPS 9900 as "good". It is not as good as your top of the line Noctua or Phanteks, but it will allow a nice mild overclock. If you're planning the FX8350 I would go straight for the Phanteks PH-TC14PE (assuming you have the room). No LEDs, but very good and follows your theme.

Definitly make sure either one will fit though. They both are pretty tall.

View attachment 153799
This would be my choice to fit your color theme, one of the best coolers on the market today.

I have searched for the phanteks blue cooler and in my country the only available colors are silver, red, orange and black. The most matching would be black right? Also will it fit in my thermaltake shark case with gigabyte 970a-d3 mobo and high profile corsair vengeance rams? It's price is 80 euros.

Also i have seen that a very low price but legendary cooler is the coolermaster hyper 212 evo. Single fanned though.

I have searched for the phanteks blue cooler and in my country the only available colors are silver, red, orange and black. The most matching would be black right? Also will it fit in my thermaltake shark case with gigabyte 970a-d3 mobo and high profile corsair vengeance rams? It's price is 80 euros.

At only 205mm wide I doubt the Phanteks PH-TC14PE would fit your case. However I wasn't able to find the max allowable Heatsink height. That said it doesn't mean it won't. You will have to make some measurements of your own and see if it will or not. They do make a 120mm fan version also(Phanteks PH-TC12DX also available in blue) which was one of the best coolers out there until the 140mm version became available.

As far as Ram height, it's doubtful your tall rams will fit with this cooler also. I'll post the needed dimensions to fit this cooler so you can verify.
phantek.JPG

The Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo and Plus are good coolers and will do a decent job with your 8 core CPU, but don't expect large overclocks with it. You can attach a second fan to the back side of the cooler for push/pull and if I'm not mistaken CM even includes the extra bracket needed for this. However results from going push/pull vary from small gains to no gains. Just don't expect double the cooling ability because that's not going to happen.

Thank you so much for your research! I know that my rams are 52mm or 55 so i am little cautious what to get. My current corsair a50 blocks me 2 ram slots because it's installed with thw fan blowing downwards the vga not from front to back at the exhaust. So i also need a fan blowing from front to back and can be installed universaly. Is phanteks PH-TC12DX capable of that?

Well, the Phanteks uses a universal mounting system so it might be able to mount that way, but I'm not sure WHY you would want to do it that way.

Generally speaking you want your air to flow from front to back and bottom to top. If I'm reading your post correctly you are blowing warm air down onto your GPU and your GPU is blowing warm air up to your CPU. There is definitly a conflict of interests there. LOL. IF you HAVE to mount the CPU HSF in a "horizontal" configuration than you will want the air to flow up and away from the rest of your components. That is, of course, if I'm reading this correctly.

Buy the best CPU cooler you can find that fits and uses standard 120mm fans, then change the fan to something with the characteristics you desire. That's really the best way to go about this, don't shop for a CPU cooler based on color.

Also i have seen that a very low price but legendary cooler is the coolermaster hyper 212 evo. Single fanned though.

The 212 EVO kit comes with brackets for a second fan so you can run push-pull. I had very good results using two Yate Loons on my QX9650 with 212 EVO for a while.

Well, the Phanteks uses a universal mounting system so it might be able to mount that way, but I'm not sure WHY you would want to do it that way.

Generally speaking you want your air to flow from front to back and bottom to top. If I'm reading your post correctly you are blowing warm air down onto your GPU and your GPU is blowing warm air up to your CPU. There is definitly a conflict of interests there. LOL. IF you HAVE to mount the CPU HSF in a "horizontal" configuration than you will want the air to flow up and away from the rest of your components. That is, of course, if I'm reading this correctly.

Its like this.My corsair a50 take air from up and blows it throught the fins of heatsink at down. A little down(not too close) is the vga.The vga has its fans from the downside so the circuit board gets the "hot" air.I couldnt install the heatsink from the other way beacause it has a small cable for the fan to connect to the board!!!I will search for the 120 version of phantek

OK you wont have that issue with a Phanteks. Just make sure it'll fit. Take lots of measurements since your case reviews don't list any.

I measured the base of cpu till the side panel and it can take cooler up to 170mm high. The phanteks is i think about 150 so i think it could be fit. Also the manual writes that you must have the stock plate for amd. What's that?

Can you get Thermalright coolers there?

They are some of the best and have several with off center bases for better PCI-E socke5t and some for better RAM clearance. Silver Arrow IB-E, Archon IB-E X2, TRUE Spirit 140 Power and HR-22 are all very good. TRUE Spirit 140 Power is lowest priced but is 171mm tall. It is very quiet yet cools within a couple degrees of best air cooler .. which are better then CLCs. :D

Edit:
I just looked up my data on PH-TC14PE. From motherboard to top of fans is 172mm which is 164mm above CPU face. I had mine in a Define R2 with a specified clearance of 165mm with no issues, but my RAM is not too tall. :D

Last edited:
The Thermalright spirit true 140 power will give you performance very close to a phanteks or noctua and do so with a single tower design. That's a big plus, I think.

Back