• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Please help me choose a new cpu cooler.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Easiest solution is still going to be sell the ram and buy a low profile set. You'll lose like $10-20. Just do it ;)

It's a little bit difficult to sell them. I won't to know if the mounting kit that phanteks provide can be installed universaly. What i mean? My current corsair a50 only allowed me to install it blow from top of the case downwards. And i want a cooler blowing from front (bay area) to back(exhaust area). Is this possible at my gigabyte 970a-d3 mobo or it has a limitation of installing it one way only.

I haven't owned/installed the A50 or the Phanteks (or an AM3+ mobo, for that matter), but with most larger CPU cooler, the univeral mounting kits replace all of the stock components. It looks like there are two black plastic brackets on your mobo in its stock configuration which the Corsair A50 made use of and therefore, forced it into a "vertically"-aligned position.

That video shows installation of the Phanteks on an AM3+ board. Looks like those plastic brackets have been removed. That will allow you to install it "horizontally".

EDIT: You appear to have three options

1) Get different ram and get the Phanteks, which you know will fit height-wise

2) Find another single tower cooler with height less than 170mm (there used to be a TRUE 120 with decent performance)

3) Get an AIO water cooler

Coincidentally, that would be how I would rank those options as well ;)

Last edited:
I checked a pic with the dimensions of phanteks. The lower distance is 37mm and my rams are 52mm tall. Why all things are against me???

It just is what it is. You just need what's best that will fit. I think your best option is a single tower with 120mm fan(s). As I see it here are your best options.

1. Phanteks PH-TC12DX
PH-TC12DX-BL-3.png

2. Cooler Master 212 EVO
290_30_e9eee0adfc7a59057fad3f4169f95aad_1409863866.jpg

3. Buy new case with 240 rad support and go H2O with the Swiftech X220
H220-X-800.jpg

EDIT: I got Ninja'd but the same ideas really. P.S. sorry about pic sizes, still trying to figure out the new forums layout.

Well the best approachable solution for me is to get phanteks and install it horizontally. That way the 2 blocked ram slots are gonna be freed currently blocked from corsair a50.

Phanteks will block the ram slots (with your ram, not a low profile set) regardless of in which orientation you install it.

Distrot I can't believe this hasn't come up yet, or if it did I don't remember, but what MoBo are you using? I dont see any way the Phanteks PH-TC12DX will cover your ram. It's a single tower and the fan that goes above the ram can be adjusted for height.

Can you please set up a signature like ours so we can see you complete 'current' rig? This will aid greatly in the future so we don't need to flip between pages to try and remember what you have installed.

EDIT: Instructions for seting up your Signature.
Click Settings in the upper right.
Click Edit signature on the left column under My Settings.
Cut and past this text editing it to match your rig and change colors to your liking.
[COLOR="RED"]Back-up Rig[/COLOR] - [COLOR="SeaGreen"]Athlon II X2 265 | Zalman CNPS9500LED | Asus M4A88-T | Patriot G2 8GB | Powercolor HD7850 2Gb | WD Caviar 640GB | CM 470W | 2x120 LS Yate Loon fans(intake) & 120 CM Essential(Exhaust) | Re-purposed Gateway Case[/COLOR]
Save changes.

ReRe-edit: Corrected the coding to use noparse instead of code.

Last edited:
I am with gigabyte 970a-d3 mobo at the moment. I rethink it and i either believe with phanteks. Because my current cooler which is installed horizontally is 125mm wide blocking ram slots 3 and 4.i found that phanteks which i want to install vertically is 105mm so i think i will be ok.

Right. I have the CM 212 EVO on my brothers rig and there's plenty of room. The single tower Phanteks is about the same size. I cant see there being a problem as long as you have the height for it. I don't see a problem with the cable length either, but if it's to short you should get an extension instead of rotating it. They are like $2-3 USD. not sure the Euro conversion, but cheap either way.

I don't recall if the Gigabyte board you have had issues with the FX8xxx chips or not. I would start a new post BEFORE you order it and let some of the experts discuss it. Those chips are true Heat monsters and draw ALOT of juice from the board.

Right. I have the CM 212 EVO on my brothers rig and there's plenty of room. The single tower Phanteks is about the same size. I cant see there being a problem as long as you have the height for it. I don't see a problem with the cable length either, but if it's to short you should get an extension instead of rotating it. They are like $2-3 USD. not sure the Euro conversion, but cheap either way.

I don't recall if the Gigabyte board you have had issues with the FX8xxx chips or not. I would start a new post BEFORE you order it and let some of the experts discuss it. Those chips are true Heat monsters and draw ALOT of juice from the board.

Well for sure my current mobo doesn't support 8 core cpus. A future upgrade will be mobo,cpu.

It's a little bit difficult to sell them. I won't to know if the mounting kit that phanteks provide can be installed universaly. What i mean? My current corsair a50 only allowed me to install it blow from top of the case downwards. And i want a cooler blowing from front (bay area) to back(exhaust area). Is this possible at my gigabyte 970a-d3 mobo or it has a limitation of installing it one way only.

You could always swap the fans so they blow up and not down :chair::rofl:

Back