• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

R9 295X2 add an extra fan for push/pull configuration

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

davidst95

Hi, I have a XFX 295X2 GPU that has a liquid radiator and a 120mm fan. I also have a 4k monitor. I read some articles that you can overclock the card by about 10%. If I do this would you recommend getting a second fan for a push/pull method for the radiator? Thanks.

David

If you decide to do this, ideally both fans should be the same. With that card, there really isn't a need to overclock it, anyway. But, of course this is an overclocking forum. Temps, and stability will be your main concerns.

As mimart7 stated, you will want a fan that has the same static pressure and CFM. Preferably, get two new fans that will fit and are the same make/model. You want the fans to compliment each other not fight.

Depending on how much heat gets generated and how much heat your cooling system can exchange, the extra fan may not help much. Of course, it will do something and that's better than nothing.

Push pull is essentially required for overclocking as I mentioned to you in an earlier thread. :)

Just to update you with my experiments. I wanted push/pull fans specifically to run off the fan header on the graphics card, as my motherboard only has one fan curve based on CPU temp (asus fan xpert II). Hopefully one day we will be able to modify this curve with afterburner/GPU tweak.

I tried a number of 3/4 pin fans but none worked. The only that worked off it were corsair sp120 performance fans (3 pin, not pwm). I suspect because the ampage was more similar to the stock fan. With these in push pull it's cooler and the sound is quieter and also has a more tolerable tonal quality than the stock. Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Push pull fans on R9 295x2 rad

Just to update you with my experiments. I wanted push/pull fans specifically to run off the fan header on the graphics card, as my motherboard only has one fan curve based on CPU temp (asus fan xpert II). Hopefully one day we will be able to modify this curve with afterburner/GPU tweak.

I tried a number of 3/4 pin fans but none worked. The only that worked off it were corsair sp120 performance fans (3 pin, not pwm). I suspect because the ampage was more similar to the stock fan. With these in push pull it's cooler and the sound is quieter and also has a more tolerable tonal quality than the stock. Hope this helps.

Did you manage to sucessfully run the two SP120 fans off the single existing gpu fan cable cable with a splitter cable? Or did you abandon the gpu fan point and use available points on your mobo. I am not sure what do do here but I have heard that the gpu does not ramp up the stock fan speed when it overheats ? Is this true ? Perhaps the new fans should be run off the motherboard and controlled by a third party app like Corsair Link ? Any advice would be much appreciated.
Thanks

Did you manage to sucessfully run the two SP120 fans off the single existing gpu fan cable cable with a splitter cable? Or did you abandon the gpu fan point and use available points on your mobo. I am not sure what do do here but I have heard that the gpu does not ramp up the stock fan speed when it overheats ? Is this true ? Perhaps the new fans should be run off the motherboard and controlled by a third party app like Corsair Link ? Any advice would be much appreciated.
Thanks
That guy has 1 post here and hasn't been back since.

As far as your concerns...

1. If it overheats, the card clocks down (like they all do), yep.
2. Yes its true.
3. You can run the fan off the motherboard and control it through the BIOS/windows application for your motherboard, or a fan controller, sure.

Hi Earthdog

Thanks for your interest.Can you confirm that I can/cannot run two sp120 high static pressure fans with a splitter off the original 2 pin cable from the acetek coolers on the R9 295x2 gpu? I understand that the existing fan speed is regulated by voltage adjustments by the gpu .The gpu /pump however (as it is a 2 pin cable) does not get fan speed feedback. So presumably it will send out a fixed voltage of 12V when the pump requires extra cooling from the rad/fan combo.If I split the original cable to supply 12 v at peak to the two new sp fans , the ampage will double ....can the Acetek cable and pumps take the extra ampage/voltage? Anybody done this sucessfully for prolonged periods?

I have no idea if that would work or not I ran mine of the card and the other off the fan controller so I didn't have to 'rig' it.

Why will the amperage double? I'm no an EE, but that is the first time I heard someone mentioning that while splicing fans...

I have no idea if that would work or not I ran mine of the card and the other off the fan controller so I didn't have to 'rig' it.

Why will the amperage double? I'm no an EE, but that is the first time I heard someone mentioning that while splicing fans...

Hi Earthdog

P=IxV v is constant at 12V and the power wattage is doubled by needing two fans so I presume the system would have to double in amperage? Not sure but with my limited understanding would that not be the case?

How to you ensure that both your fans are in sync (speed) if one is controlled by the existing fan cable from the gpu pump and the other I presume from your mobo...or a seperate fan controller?

I didnt... its not a huge deal so long as you are not running some 4K RPM deltas vs some slow arse 1000 RPM fans. It was on a fan controller.

I didnt... its not a huge deal so long as you are not running some 4K RPM deltas vs some slow arse 1000 RPM fans. It was on a fan controller.

Hi Earthddog

Which controller are you using , is it a software controller like the Corsair Link or a bay mounted with manual external controls.

I have sent an email to Asetek and asked them if I can split the existing power feed to supply two fans.Letrs see what they say.

A Lamptron fan controller... bay mounted. I also have many other fans to control, otherwise I would have just put it on the motherboard. I also fear you will void the warranty by splicing into the wires..

Doesnt "Speedfan" allow you to use any fan header on say mobo and tell it to follow any thermal node you want?

i used this in the past , I think with some time you should be able to set a fan header on mobo to respond to GPU temps.

Im pretty sure i had my Delta on one of my pc's set to respond to GPU temps and the 2nd delta set to respond to CPU temps back in the day.

They would ramp up slowly on a curve depending on the temps of either location and blow directly on that section of the mobo.

haven't used it in a while and its a bit tricky but it does work ok.

Speedfan... it still works on modern motherboards? That app was getting wonky in the s775 days!

Back