• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Too many x99 boards! Which one looks to be the best?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Atari

Hi gents,

Need your help on this. I'll be using my new computer mainly for Maya/Max rendering/animation, Photoshop/premiere etc.. So work first, games second. Still want to play games on it though ;). I'm not interested in the Asus deluxe. I think I just want a pretty barebones board I don't need wifi or anything really. Things I do want are: good sound on board, Great OCing, and if possible 64gb memory capable (although I'll only use 32gb from the start).

Can anyone recommend a good board for me? MSI offerings look good. Like the gaming 7 board (not the 9).There are just a ton of boards being offered right now and I'm struggling to choose one. Can anyone lead me to something that might be better than the option above? Thanks a ton guys!

I bought the Gigabyte Gaming 5, and have been thrilled with everything but the BIOS as it is very clunky. I haven't begun to OC on it yet, but it runs Creative on-board sound with a replaceable op-amp, and does have support for up to 64 gigs of RAM. I don't know that it is "bare-bones" but it was about as simple as I wanted to get while still offering some good features. Hope this helps and good luck with the new build!

Waiting on my board to get here,

I went with the AsRock OC Formula board for my uses.

I like the entire line though, on their high end sits the WS workstation version, but I think the sweet spot is the Extreme 6

Features are not abundant but usable. good power delivery, BIOS and great price point.

I forget the memory max on it, but sure it is adequite

good luck

Waiting on my board to get here,

I went with the AsRock OC Formula board for my uses.

I like the entire line though, on their high end sits the WS workstation version, but I think the sweet spot is the Extreme 6

Features are not abundant but usable. good power delivery, BIOS and great price point.

I forget the memory max on it, but sure it is adequite

good luck

Why not go with the Extreme 6? I'd like to hear your reasons.

He does extreme (subzero) benchmarking. The OC Formula is better for that

Yes, for a daily grinder/gamer it would be an outstanding choice.

Great power, great BIOS and features you will more than likely be able to utilize.

Back