• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

300 to 400 dollars for gaming worthy upgrade

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

novo

Current system is
Biostar 880g+ micro atx
Phenom II 555 BE (unlocked to b55 quad)
4gb ddr3 1333mhz
500 watt psu
4850 Radeon
Western digital blue 500gb hard drive.
Looking to make this gaming worthy. BF3 and up heavy gaming.

PSU is MEH... but it should handle a more powerful GPU.

That said, I would go 2x4GB DDR3 1866 CL9, and a GTX770 or R9 290.

I agree with E_D on both RAM and GP up suggestions.
I might add that a cooler like the 212+ evolution should allow a 3.8 to 4GHz OC. In which case your CPU would not be much of a bottleneck with the suggested GPU's.

I wouldn't even worry about the ram.

4gbVS8GBgamingbench.PNG

If you're at 1080P, I'd look for a used 280X and an i5/mobo combo. Just saw a 4th gen i5/z87 combo go in our classifieds for $235(!), so I'm sure you can find something similar on ebay or something for $200-250 (since you don't have access to ours). 280Xs (that were likely used for mining, but are still fine) can be had for $165, bringing you somewhere in the $400 ballpark.

290 is a great card, but I feel like the Phenom would bottleneck the crap out of it?

P.S. If you can add a bit to the budget, you can get a Corsair CX600 for ~$30 at newegg (after rebate). I'd try to fit it in.

8 it is then.

I've had 8 for several years now, so I have no experience with 4. Just trying to save money. :)

Adding the ram will make the CPU/mobo I mentioned impossible in the $400 budget. The GPU upgrade will definitely give you more bang for your buck, so if you have to choose one, go that route.

The [email protected]/3.9MHz should not bottleneck the 770/290 much.

I had a 780 on a x6@4GHz, and the CPU was not bottlenecking much: running 3dmark FS and 11, graphic scores were not far from the ones I got when I upgraded to the 3770k. I could go to my 3dmark page to give detail was, but I am kind of lazy today...

No worries, you're probably right. I just saw "phenom" and thought ermahgerd, old! haha

EarthDog, I just looked into the RAM usage thing. BF4 definitely can use more then 4GB, so 8GB is probably a better choice. Out of curiosity, though, how long ago did you see the hitching from 4GB? Looks like there was a memory leak issue close to launch and it could have been the culprit?

^Yep not that new anymore, lol!

But actually, I'd go your "used" route.

OP can sell the gpu/mobo/gpu/ram for like $100/$150. That would extend his budget to the 500mark.

He can get eithet a 2600k+mobo for around $200 or a 3570k+mobo for the same money.
Add $50 for 2*4GB of second hand ram and with the $250 left, he can grab a used 290 (maybe even a 290x...).

That would be a top notch gaming rig!

No worries, you're probably right. I just saw "phenom" and thought ermahgerd, old! haha

EarthDog, I just looked into the RAM usage thing. BF4 definitely can use more then 4GB, so 8GB is probably a better choice. Out of curiosity, though, how long ago did you see the hitching from 4GB? Looks like there was a memory leak issue close to launch and it could have been the culprit?
It very well could have been resolved... Not sure. Its a tough call what to swap out for what honestly.

^Yep not that new anymore, lol!

But actually, I'd go your "used" route.

OP can sell the gpu/mobo/gpu/ram for like $100/$150. That would extend his budget to the 500mark.

He can get eithet a 2600k+mobo for around $200 or a 3570k+mobo for the same money.
Add $50 for 2*4GB of second hand ram and with the $250 left, he can grab a used 290 (maybe even a 290x...).

That would be a top notch gaming rig!

Don't forget that PSU!

It's so easy spending other people's money ;)

^yep, forgot about this one...

The cx600 for 30bucks would not kill the open budget... I'd go for it with my eyes closed!

For that rig

8 gb of 1333 mhz ram
250 gb ssd for load times
R9 270x

Won't come close to utilizing a 280x with that cpu. Your board doesn't support more than 1333 mhz, and this will keep everything under budget for you while giving you very decent playability on any game on medium settings @ 1080p.

280x is obviously much better, but if anything find a used one or a 7950/70.

Plenty of options, but that route makes the most sense to me. Don't put a pile of money into an old phenom imo.

I would never get 1333MHz ram these days. For a pittance, it leaves a bit of performance on the table to 1600MHz...

Why wouldn't the 280x get to stretch its legs under that CPU? It will be fine. remember 280x=7970 which was out when PHII was out. ;)

Last edited:
As said earlier, I ran a 780 with almost no bottleneck on a x6...

I am with you E_D...

555 is a older dual core

Neither the motherboard or the cpu supports more than 1333, granted the faster ram will simply down clock.

how does a 555 "stretch it's legs" when my 8320 barely does?

Run unigine heaven (extreme) on both Cpus with the same gpu and report the difference back. ;)

1333 is the standard. Most motherboards will have higher memory multipliers... Look at what your current.board says it supports for example and not it has higher multipliers :)

Last edited:
Back