• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cable and sleeving friendly fans and PSU

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Dieter01

Registered
I am trying to decide on what equipment to buy. There are quite a few pro's and cons, right now I am considering if there is a difference between units when it comes to cable management work and sleeving.

I would like quiet 120mm pwm fans with black fan blades. They will be installed as push/pull on a UT60 radiator. So far I have narrowed it down to either Corsair SP 120 quiet edition or the Noiseblocker BlackSilentPro. There will be a total of 39 fans in this build, 36 for the radiators. All cables will be sleeved individually. So my question is really... Is there a difference between thes two models when it comes to the amount of work involved with sleeving them? I have never done this so I appologize if its a stupid question...

I am also considering which PSU to buy. Roughly 1200W. After watching some youtube videos of builds I understand there is a certaindifference between PSU's when it comes to cable management and sleeving. Some PSU's require a bit of soldering to get things to lign up, others are set up differently. I am trying to read up on these things but maybe you can give some advice here as well? I would preferably like to avoid soldering. I plan to either individually sleeve all standard cables that come with the PSU or make new ones. Any PSU's that stand out in this regard? So far I have my eyes set on the Corsair AX1200i.

The Noiseblockers are good fans for sleeving, mainly because they come with a short cable coming from the fan. They come with two lengths of extensions, which can be strung together to make an extra long cable. (You essentially decide how long the fan's cable will be.)

It's easy to re-sleeve the extensions or you can make your own. All you'll need to make your own are 24AWG wire, crimp fan pins (male and female), a crimping tool, and a set of connectors. Or just a pin removal tool and sleeving and heatshrink to re-sleeve.

Any modular PSU should be great for sleeving, and the AX1200i is fully modular. You can either re-sleeve the PSU's cables or make your own.

The only thing to watch for with sleeving Corsair is to keep track of which wires go where. I have an AX1200 (without the i), and the 24-pin cable had criss-crossing wires that made it a bit of a challenge. (For example, pin 1 on the motherboard connector won't necessarily be pin 1 on the end that connects to the PSU.) They may have changed that with the newer AX1200i, but just keep that in mind.

I'd probably go with the Noiseblockers as well. It seems by manufacturer stats, the Noiseblockers are a tad better.

As for PSUs, you can't go wrong with the AX1200i. I have one and purchased the sleeved ready cables for an extra $100. If you're willing to do it yourself, by all means go ahead. The cables that are included are cheap plastic ones because for the price, you'd think they'd come sleeved.

Back