• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

connect two home networks with two isp's...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

wagex

Chapstick Eating Premium Member
how would one go about connecting these two networks for file sharing over the wifi connection (our upload is terrible we are wanting a better way to share files).

i really dont want to go through each pc on my end and set the ip and subnet and gateway and all that stuff. basically we want to be able to share files and not have our routers interfere with each other at the same time, is this possible?

we are working on the connection right now, with just a ghetto cantenna on my side i can pick up his neighbors wifi so hes gonna add a better antenna on his side and we should be fine.
edit: i changed the image a bit, i cant seem to delete the old one from the thread, i dont like the new file manager lol.
netowkr.png

Attachments

• netowkr.png
    netowkr.png
    12.5 KB · Views: 218
Last edited:
Create a VLAN with something like Hamachi. I'm sure there are other tools out there that do the same thing, but I used Hamachi back in the day to play LAN only games with friends around the country. Of course, since you're on a separate physical network, you're still going to be bound by your internet speeds. The only way around this is by hardwiring your networks together, or by connecting to the same wifi signal. Even if you were on the same wifi network, I doubt you'd see speeds any faster than what your ISP provides you after you factor in signal degradation, noise, line of site, obstacles, etc.

they will be connected via wifi, and it will be much faster than our ISP speeds he gets like 1mb up and i get two. once he gets his antenna i bet we can push 20mb/s across wireless N atleast. i can pick up his neighbors wifi with a weak signal already and he has a crappy router. worst comes to worst wel get some man antennas that are made for 3+ mile links they are pretty cheap.

i already have the link worked out. i want to be able to share network resources without our routers interfering with eachother. likely we will be going to different subnets which would make it difficult to share resources over the link.

to clarify we are not wanting to share over internet so no vpn's over the internet. and we have a wireless solution figured out. just need help with linking the two networks.

edited the image i see how there was come confusion over the arrow seeming to come from the ISP sorry

netowkr.png

I would say bridge the routers, but 900ft sounds way too long for that and I wouldn't do it with anything less than full signal bars. Might be a pain to setup if both routers are not of the same brand/model. Not all brands use the same language in their settings.

What "resources" are you trying to share? This just sounds too complicated and not ideal given the distance and the fact you're buying/installing upgrades with the hope that it works and performs to an acceptable speed. Whereas you can both sign up for a cloud service and be done with it if we're talking just files.

Last edited:
signal wont be a problem :) i can promise. the antenna (plural) we are going to probably end up using has plenty of reviews of it going 3+ miles with wireles G. and there are no obstructions minus a few tree branches at the park im gonna go do the city a favor and trim for them ;)

basically we want to share files over this link. our internet is not enough to do so, it takes ages to upload via ftp at 2mb/s or the other way around at 1mb/s for him.

probably gonna wind up using a pair of these bad boys

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833997212

i also have two of these access points i could use to bridge the connection if need be.
http://www.versatek.com/vx-ap310n-wireless-n-access-point.html

i know for a fact it will work at an acceptable speed. and for the last time im not spending days uploading a file that would take a matter of an hour or less over the connection. lets just ignore the way they are going to be connected from now on, it is a non issue.

in the end if this works i will be putting another one up on a 20' pole and connecting my other cousins network as well.

actually, i think i just figured it out. it might work il have to work on the specifics, but perhaps. i can create a VM that has a wireless adapter shared to it(not connected to the vlan), hook that to the antenna. then with the vm connect to his network then connect the raid to the vm and boom the host will share the raid on my network and the vm will share it on his.... i hope. lol

then again i do have a really nice managed switch if there are any settings on there i can use.

Last edited:
in order to do what you want (IE you use your internet and your cousin use his, but file share with each other files)

you have to do some routing IE you are 192.168.1.x network and he is 192.168.2.x network

and set a Route over your Wireless, what routers are you using?
you will have to go though a Router inorder to direct your traffic the right way
Capture.PNG123123.PNG

as you see the traffic go though the 1841s to direct traffic over your wireless or ISP (IE cable or what ever)

Subbing 'casue I wanna see how this works out :popcorn:

So, you want to bypass ISP's, and have a direct wi-fi link to his router?
Sounds like a edge router thing.

As mentioned before, make the routers bridged.
You running DD-WRT? That might give you more options to go about this.

in order to do what you want (IE you use your internet and your cousin use his, but file share with each other files)

you have to do some routing IE you are 192.168.1.x network and he is 192.168.2.x network

and set a Route over your Wireless, what routers are you using?
you will have to go though a Router inorder to direct your traffic the right way
View attachment 153848

as you see the traffic go though the 1841s to direct traffic over your wireless or ISP (IE cable or what ever)

thank you sir for the help :)
so how would we share with eachother having different port ranges? and how would we keep eachothers routers from throwing a fit when one or the other connects a computer would they both fight for dhcp addressing? or will we just have to manually set the default gateway on each mahcine? which would bring me to my next question.... how would i do phones and consoles and whatnot.

main reason why this would concern me is because i have lan parties at my house with 12+ other machines running on my network and i don't think everyone wants to manually change their adapter settings lol.

as for routers we are probably gonna both get matching dd-wrt capable routers and flash them. at the moment we both have router / modems from our ISP's.

Easy, buy two of these and set up a wireless bridge between the homes.

http://www.amazon.com/Engenius-ENH2...compl_e_8?ie=UTF8&refRID=0E4TXREHV35147EVEMC7
....................................................................................................................................

honestly. this is the last time. i have the link portion of it solved. i have the link portion solved guys. all i am asking for help at this point is what kind of hardware / software am i going to need to keep the dhcp / ip address mashing issues from happening that happens when you connect two routers together and add new devices one router goes hey a new device, the other one goes hey look a new device and a network adapter can only have one ip address afaik.

1. i have perfect line of sight
2. i have antennas and connection devices sorted out.
3. the antennas can do 3+ miles with line of sight.
4. the access points i will be using to bridge have gigabit ports and can run 150+mb/s speed will be fine.
5. quick math... 3 miles = 15840. i am going 900ft. 3 miles with 90% signal strength is sufficient i would hope. (atleast thats what users claim in the reviews)

Last edited:
There has to be a way to contain the DHCP broadcasts to your side of the LAN for your devices. I don't know off the top of my head though.

One thing does some to mind, set your router to NAT that new wi-fi link, and simply open the port you use to share files.
That should stop the DHCP requests from his network entering your network.

i like your thinking, but instead of that, i will close off ports 67/68 and boom dhcp cant make it through, open everything else :)

can do "block services" on the router and block dhcp from going to said router, or something like that, idk that just might work.

Last edited:
i like your thinking, but instead of that, i will close off ports 67/68 and boom dhcp cant make it through, open everything else :)

can do "block services" on the router and block dhcp from going to said router, or something like that, idk that just might work.

That'll probably work yeah.

NAT would be the most secure way of doing this, but I assume your cousin won't do funny stuff to your network right? :D :p

EDIT: Unless closing off ports 67/68 would cut your devices off? I dunno if you can specify that rule for the wifi link only. :shrug:

assuming the setup will be router-AP)))))) wifi's )))))AP-router
i should be able to see his router and block its traffic specifically, it has options for almost every single protocol to block as well, http, dns, ftp, smtp, ip phone, lol.

block.png

If you are Using dd-wrt that can do Routing easy

So all you would will have to do on your side is
Plug WAN port into Internet (modem or router)
Tell DDWRT to Route Port 1 (or 2 or 3 or 4) to 192.168.2.x /24 (or 255.255.255.0) (Pls note that 192.168.2.x /24 is your cousin Home Ip address range)
Make Port 1 Go to Wireless Bridge
and repeate on your cousin Side (but make the route 192.168.1.x /24 to get back to your network)

all this is , is routing so port the Routes the Right way and you will not have to mess with Nat or Ports it would be like is on the same network but you using your internet and him using his

Capture.PNG

with this setup your house is DHCP and your cousin house's PC will DHCP (from their respective DDWRT routers)
then make a Windows Share and put in the IP address of the PC and should be good to go

(if you need me to clear anything pls tell me as I am having issue turning my thoughts in to words today)

this is awesome sir :) we shal try this out soon and get back, just waiting on some money a friend owes me lol

just for a bit of clarification this is what it would look like correct? on my end atleast? fVKhP8z.png

Last edited:
looks right to me

what I would do is test out the routing before going wifi

Ie just make a dummy network and test if it is working

just add a Router, switch and a PC on the routed Port and see if you can ping it

I think the destination LAN network would technically need to be 192.168.2.0, and the gateway would be the next hop IP (In Trekkys Diagram, 192.168.254.1).

A decent explanation on static routing in DD-WRT can be found here.

The way Trekky has it is how you want to go. There will be essentially three networks (Yours - 192.168.1.0/24, Friends - 192.168.2.0/24, and the Wireless Link - 192.168.254.0/29).

The configuration may need to be tweaked a bit depending on how DD-WRT handles bridged wireless connections and interfaces, and static routes may need to be added on the access points.

I was going to post that this morning, but I had to go to work -_-

That advertisement is pretty much a loop of nothing.
If looking for 192.168.2.1, go to: 192.168.2.1
is pretty much what that says :p

Back