• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What Z97 Motherboard to get?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

deathman20

High Speed Premium Senior
Looking at Z97 motherboards for a i7 4790K processor for a build I'm doing.

Looking at right around the $200 mark in price. I've personally had bad experiences with Asus in the past on their motherboards so I want to pass on those. I've had my MSI board for a long time and have enjoyed it, and I know there are others so if someone could enlighten me a bit that would be great :)

Looking value for the money and features that will help the system last hopefully for years to come. If need to spend a little more I believe it would be ok.

Last edited:
If memory serves ED has a flagship MSI board for sale ?

Worth a peak if you like the MSI boards

I think his is Z87 (not that it can't be flashed to support haswell refresh :thup:)

Nope, it is Z97! (Great deal, but a little outside of the price range)

I'm just going to say it here... I highly doubt I will budge soon on a $380 board priced at $230. I'm floored this hasn't been sold yet honestly.

Classifieds. Its dead Jim, dead. You cant even put up an absolute steal and have someone buy it.

We've been in contact ;)

Really still a toss up on 3 of them. E_D's / MSI MPower / ASRock

Arrrg choices. Have to look at this tonight more tonight, and hopefully can pull the trigger on this quickly.

I'm just going to say it here... I highly doubt I will budge soon on a $380 board priced at $230. I'm floored this hasn't been sold yet honestly.

Classifieds. Its dead Jim, dead. You cant even put up an absolute steal and have someone buy it.

Relatively small community with an even smaller (restricted) group of classifieds users. It's definitely more difficult to get stuff sold, but the alternatives aren't great.

Your price is excellent, it's just an enthusiast board. :shrug:

if this was for a system you are going to flip in a few months to a year is one thing.

If you plan to use this for years a few extra bucks to get a board of that level could be construde as a good value.

ED is selling this board for a song

my two cents

Well, as soon as you plan on staying on ambient cooling, there is absolutely no use on going on such a high end board... at least, that's what we all sayvwhen talking about this kind of board

No doubt on that point Manu... Perhaps its just because I am selling it, but, if I could have a Porsche for Nissan pricing... I just may do it for giggles, LOL!

I had an Asus Z87 Hero VI for Haswell. With the newer Devil's Canyon I bought an Asus Z97 Pro. That was before I gave ASRock's Extreme 6 a close look and read the various forum posts. That's the mobo I should have bought. I don't think you can do better than The Extreme 6.

I don't think you can do better than The Extreme 6.
There are plenty of 'better' boards out... even in asrock's line, but the Asrock Ex6 is a solid bang for your buck motherboard, for sure.

Last edited:
I had an Asus Z87 Hero VI for Haswell. With the newer Devil's Canyon I bought an Asus Z97 Pro. That was before I gave ASRock's Extreme 6 a close look and read the various forum posts. That's the mobo I should have bought. I don't think you can do better than The Extreme 6.

Disagree,

The Extreme 6 is a great value board , However it is not is not the best board even AsRock has out on the z97 platform.

It is all a matter of budget and what you can utilize and what features you are looking for.

The OP said he really liked his previous MSI board, that is what made me think of ED's board.
For what he is asking this board is an insane bargain. I already have a board for this platform or I would of jumped on it the moment he posted it.

No doubt on that point Manu... Perhaps its just because I am selling it, but, if I could have a Porsche for Nissan pricing... I just may do it for giggles, LOL!

I agree, and if shipping from the US to Gabon was not insanely expensive (import tax s.cks!), I would have put a dibs on it as I seriously plan on getting a 4790k in the coming weeks...

Shoot my earlier post didn't post. Oh well.

Anyways I went with the ASRock board as this is what my friend wanted. Originally I was going to upgrade then he decided he really wanted the new equipment and would pay for it. So letting him go at it and I'll just sit back and wait for Broadwell or Skylake to come out :)

Though yeah the MSI board is probably what I would of gone with overall. Either one from E_D really as its a killer value and while warranty issues aside its worth it in the end I believe.

So in the end I sit with my 2500k and my MSI board that works great, and dream of upgrading once again. Least I'll be able to play with my friends rig for just a little bit before fully handing it over to him.

Back