• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I nead Help with my Quad 8400 CPU

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

BingoPlayers

Hi all!

First of all i like to say im new here :) i searched all over the internet for an anser wath im doing wrong...

I have a motherboard P5B SE Rev 1xx with my core duo 4700 cpu it runs 3,1 Ghz without problem with crapy stock colller.. but a few days i put a quad 8400 cpu ion with airplane coller all new! and ghues wath???.. the quad,s standard speed is 2,66 Ghz right? yes it is.. naqd i cant even run it.. it keaps freezing and give be blue creen of dead... cpu temp is 44 - 52 C so the heat is not the problem!... i tryed everything but on this crapy motherboard the options are very limited... i upraded the bios to the latest version.. still dosent help!... i can only run at 2,49 Ghz if i put a lil bit highyer the bluescrean wil come.. i have windows 7 and 4 Gb ram!.. can anyone know wath is the problem here? or there is some secret keybord combination to unlock more options?

Hi! Welcome!1! :)

Ancient chipset (965) and board. Though the CPU list says it supports the Q8400 with BIOS 1001, it only has 2/3 phase power with no heatsinks on it. Not a lot at all to drive that CPU.

To put it simply, I doubt that board can handle that CPU, even at stock speeds. You can try blowing a fan directly at the CPU area and see if that cools of the VRMs, but... at this point, Id scrap and rebuild on something a lot more modern personally. At minimum, bet a P45 based motherboard with a few power phases that have heatsinks on it.

The heat is not the problem.. the problem is that i cant run the cpu not even on the normal 2,66 Ghz the max stable speed atm 2,51 Ghz .. so you say there is no hope? nothing i can do to make this cpu at least handle the normal default speed?

Sounds like wrong FSB-to-DRAM ratio. I would try to lower the DRAM clock as much as possible.

And even if you do a board upgrade to a P45, you're definitely not out of the woods yet!

Especially past 340ish, you can expect a "STOP: 0x00000124" BSOD for a bus/interconnect error. This means you require more FSB termination voltage, I recommend you to not go beyond 1.2 V or 1.3 V with a 45 nm. Appears to be a common issue with Core 2 Quads.

Last edited:
Hi! Welcome!1! :)

Ancient chipset (965) and board. Though the CPU list says it supports the Q8400 with BIOS 1001, it only has 2/3 phase power with no heatsinks on it. Not a lot at all to drive that CPU.

To put it simply, I doubt that board can handle that CPU, even at stock speeds. You can try blowing a fan directly at the CPU area and see if that cools of the VRMs, but... at this point, Id scrap and rebuild on something a lot more modern personally. At minimum, bet a P45 based motherboard with a few power phases that have heatsinks on it.

The heat is not the problem.. the problem is that i cant run the cpu not even on the normal 2,66 Ghz the max stable speed atm 2,51 Ghz .. so you say there is no hope? nothing i can do to make this cpu at least handle the normal default speed?
You are right, heat is not the problem.
Your current motherboard is simply too weak for that Q8400. Not enough power feeding the CPU.

He is running underclocked...I think?

Post up some CPUz screenshots of the first tab, SPD, and Memory tabs please. :)

cpu.jpg Ram.png Yes im running underclocked at curent speed is 2,50 Ghz im posting the requested screanshots with CPUZ! (Ohh and one more thing in my bios here i cant chancge the cpu voltage at all neather the ram! :(

I need the SPD tab please... Also use Alt+PrtScn to only capture the active window so we dont have large picture for no reason (beats cropping!).

Well, outside of the board not being able to handle the CPU, raising voltages would make it worse as that would put more stress on the board.

Your ram is underclocked so that is not the issue.

You need a better board.

he's talking about overheating PWM components (mainly VRM/mosfets) not an overheating CPU. Please listen to people.
965 chipset with that terrible VRM section you have can handle a 2 core on a good day. 4 core? Forget about it. You need a P45 board with more phases and VRM heatsinks if you plan to overclock. Honestly even if you had a P45 board, E/Q8XXX cpus are 6 years old. Not worth running IMO.

That looks like power saving mode, so you need to run a test to see the clocks.
He said in the first post that he is not able to even hit the stock clocks. :)

he's talking about overheating PWM components (mainly VRM/mosfets) not an overheating CPU. Please listen to people.
965 chipset with that terrible VRM section you have can handle a 2 core on a good day. 4 core? Forget about it. You need a P45 board with more phases and VRM heatsinks if you plan to overclock. Honestly even if you had a P45 board, E/Q8XXX cpus are 6 years old. Not worth running IMO.
PWM? That is Pulse Width Modulation and has nothing to do with the Power bits (well, never heard the power bits get called PWM as that is a power signal).

Last edited:
Its on, but, I'm having trouble figuring out your point in all of that (you repeated the same thing twice without explanation). Note, his problem is that he cannot reach stock speeds with a quad (presumably because of the board not having enough power phases to drive it properly). I'm not sure what disabling power savings will actually do. Can you elaborate on your one liners a bit, specifically why this would help?

Thanks!

I manage somehow to rise the ram speed to 500 Mhz .. and the cpu is on 2 , 47 Ghz stable! no blue screans no crashes! but still.. :( i cant use it on the standard 2,66 Ghz clock... i wase wondering and i tryed out with the old cpu that wase in the board ! A core due E 4700 this cpu runs at 3 , 2 Ghz smothly on this board (P5b SE Rev 1 xx) but this quad 8400 gives me a headache .. wath do u say guys shud i use my old cpu the core duo? or thisone at 2,47 Ghz ? with is the better option because i see that reaching the quad,s normal speed here is inpossible!

I manage somehow to rise the ram speed to 500 Mhz .. and the cpu is on 2 , 47 Ghz stable! no blue screans no crashes! but still.. :( i cant use it on the standard 2,66 Ghz clock... i wase wondering and i tryed out with the old cpu that wase in the board ! A core due E 4700 this cpu runs at 3 , 2 Ghz smothly on this board (P5b SE Rev 1 xx) but this quad 8400 gives me a headache .. wath do u say guys shud i use my old cpu the core duo? or thisone at 2,47 Ghz ? with is the better option because i see that reaching the quad,s normal speed here is inpossible!

We have mentioned this many times - You need a better motherboard to get that Quad 8400 to run at stock speeds.
Plain and simple, your current board sucks for that 8400, it's just not good enough :(

P45 based motherboards is what you needs like OCnoob said, but that's an old power hungry chip so...

Back