• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Can I OC a QX2710 through a Displayport->DVI-D adapter?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

wfsaxton

Hi all, new member here.

I'm an idiot and ordered the single-port DVI-D QX2710 and my laptop only has HDMI and a mini-Displayport output. The reason I got the QX2710 is, of course, because I wanted to OC it to ~100Mhz.

Will I be able to do this through an adapter or do I have to go straight DVI-D to DVI-D?

Okay, great. Do you see any performance hit from doing it this way?

I could just send the monitor back and get the multi-port one but it would cost me $50 more.

I don't know if it'll affect the amount of overclocking you can do.

A few things:

1) The multi-input version do not overclock at all

2) You need an "active" DP->DVI-D dual link adapter, not just the one of the $5 types which commonly come with GPUs.

3) I am not sure if you can overclock with even an active adapter. I have an active adapter (don't need it, so selling it in our classifieds section) and if I get some time tonight, I can see if it affects the overclock on my qx2710. No promises, though. Pretty busy and leaving for the weekend tomorrow. (Yep, no time, sorry :()

Last edited:
Not just any active adapter will overclock either. The only one I know of that will for sure is an accell displayport to dual link dvi adapter that callsignvega used on his catleaps. And even that adapter was limited to about 100hz with some variation from adapter to adapter.

Accell B087B-007B DisplayPort/Mini DisplayPort to DVI-D Dual-Link Adapter with 3D Support

Thanks guys, I think I'm just going to stick with the Asus PG278Q when it comes out. Yes, its twice as expensive, but you are guaranteed your 144 Mhz and Displayport!

Back