• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

amd fx 4100 overclocking help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

damon86

Hello, I have recently upgraded parts and want to overclock my cpu. I am running
mobo- gigabyte 78lmt-s2p
processor - amd fx4100 black edition
850 w power supply
windows 7 pro
graphics - msi hd 7000 series
2 x 4Gb ram.
highly uprated cpu cooler with good quality paste.
Please can someone give me a how to list on how to overclock properly to get good performance out of my system?

I forgot to mention that I am running a hdd Samsung ssd 160gb
wd 1tb
Samsung 1tb
and a wd 250gb

donot think it will make any difference though

Last edited:
I doubt if you will be able to get much of a stable overclock using that motherboard. It is a 3+1 power phase motherboard only rated for 95W TDP and that is also the watt rating of the CPU at stock frequencies and voltages. So there's not going to be much if any headroom to overclock. Overclocking will drive up the power consumption of the CPU. In fact, I would almost be surprised if you did not get some thermal throttling under full load at stock frequencies and voltages with that motherboard.

What you should do before anything else is check motherboard CPU socket temps under full load with the CPU at stock frequencies and voltage. To do this, download and install two programs: Prime95 and HWMonitor (non-pro version). Open HWMonitor on the desktop and leave it open while you runt the Prime95 "blend" stress test for 20 minutes. Capture the image of HWMonitor after the stress test and attach it with a post. Snipping Tool in Windows Accessories is great for framing and capturing images on the desktop. To attach the image with a post, click on the Go Advanced button at the bottom of any new post window and then click on the little paperclip tool at the top. This will cause the file browser/upload tool to appear and the rest will be obvious.

I have that same motherboard and recently paired it with a dual core Phenom II CPU. I was able to overclock it from 3.0 to 3.5 but CPU socket temps were rather high at 60c. 65c is about the limit. "Package" temp is the other temp variable you want to monitor with HWMonitor and you want to limit it to about 60c.

By the way, which revision of the board do you have?

Temps currently look okay. If that is where you intend to remain then seems good to go.

However if you plan to go further we really need this information in format as shown.

Makes answering about overclocking an AMD cpu easier.

In bios disable C1/E, C6, Cool N Quiet, TurboCore (if there), Disable APM and Enable HPC if in bios and in windows power manager set to "performance mode". Then do as below.

CPU Tab in CPUz from CPUID com
attachment.php

Memory Tab in CPUz from CPUID com
attachment.php

SPD Tab in CPUz from CPUID com
attachment.php

And this is screen capture of HWMonitor (free version) from CPUID com
HWMonitor has been scrolled enough and large enough to show Min/Max of Voltages and includes the CPU Core Temps; which are n0w called Package Temps, fully visible.

This capture is made of HWMonitor after it has been open on the desktop logging Min/Max temps and voltages while Prime 95 was running Blend Mode test on all cores for at least 20 mins and then the capture of HWMonitor was made and it shows the Min/Max temps and voltages before P95 Blend was started and while running P95 Blend mode and gives much greater insight into how the system is performing without guessing.

attachment.php

In order to attach screenshots of INDIVIDUAL images as suggested, first crop and capture the images with Snipping Tool found in Windows Accessories or equivalent. Then click on Go Advanced, a button at the bottom of every new post window. Then click on the little paperclip tool at the top of the Advanced post window when it opens. Clicking on the paperclip tool brings up the file browser/upload tool and the rest is fairly obvious.

How to actually attach images to the forum and not use a link to some outside location where image is stored. Store the image within the forum.
attachment.php

You can attach more than 3 pics at one time by going back up to browse another file and uploading it.

Ok. I will do all that when I get back from work tomorrow. thankyou for your help so far

On Gigabyte boards the revision number is printed on the rear lower corner of the board.

TMPIN2 is most likely your socket temp. As RGone said, temps look good so far. Overclocking involves raising the CPU core voltage and maybe the CPU/NB voltage and frequencies as well which will drive temps up. That's why we always monitor temps after every change.

Readings @ stock

caches.PNG cpu.PNG data.PNG graphics.PNG mb.PNG memory.PNG spd.PNG

here are the readings after 24 mins of amd blending, i have turned off the cool and quiet and thermal control to get a better reading, I have also turned off the turbo thingy too., does this help?

Now, in bios add .025 to the CPU voltage.

Increase the CPU core speed multiplier from 18x to 19x.

Rerun the 20 minute Prime95 blend stress test while monitoring temps with HWMonitor.

If you pass the test, increase the CPU core speed mulitiplier to 19.5x. Rerun the stress test. If you pass, raise the core speed multiplier again by .5x. Repeat process until you fail the 20 minute Prime95 stress test, meaning either spontaneous restart, lockup, blue screen or one of the Prime95 core workers drops out.

When you start to fail the stress test you can consider adding another .025 volts to the CPU but only if temps permit.

Don't let package temps exceed 62-63c or TMPIN2 (socket temp) exceed 67-70c.

This is the bare bones approach to overclocking but let's start there.

Ok I tried in small steps and I am currently testing at 4.1. I did have to up the core voltage up by 2 to get it here. Do I keep climbing until I max out at this voltage?

cpu clock ratio - x20.5 which takes me to 4100mh
cpu voltage control is at 1.4525v

if i up the clock tatio to x21, it crashes after about 4 min in prime, temps dont seem to have changed much and are well within their operating ranges. What is the next step?

I would carefullly monitor the temps for no more than 72c on socket/cpu and no more than 62c on the package/core temps. Up to about 1.515V is the most I would like to have to use for day in and day out use.

All of these FX processors seem to clock on stair steps. Go up a couple of 100Mhz and the blam you got to throw some cpu voltage at it. Then maybe another 100Mhz or so and blam you have to throw some more cpu voltage at it. That is why we describe the situation as stair steps. Up in steps.

Without awesome cooling, likely 4.3Ghz is going to be about it; if you got a good piece of silicon in that cpu.
RGone...

Back