• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Crossfire 285 or...?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

h4rm0ny

It's time for one of my extremely episodic GPU upgrades. I'm not a big gamer but every now and then I like to drag myself into the current era. To give you a feel my current card is a 6870 and before that it was a 48__ (something). Both kept for ages. Anyway, I have a budget set aside and I'm considering buying two Sapphire R9 285s. (I'm pretty sure there's only a 2GB model available, but just in case, it's a 2GB model ;)). I like that it's a newer chipset (I hate buying legacy hardware) and more practically, I like that it has True Audio and the 4K decoding. I also would quite like to run two DP monitors and this will give me two DP ports without having to faff around with MST.

Alternately, I could pool the money and buy one higher end card. I'm thinking a Sapphire R9 290X 4096MB. Power consumption isn't a huge concern, but noise is.

I'm pretty hung up on staying with AMD as that's what I'm familiar with, but other than that - suggestions / warnings / random comments about echinoderms?

Thanks!

H.

Personally I'd be looking at a single card instead of two of them right off the bat. Your upgrade options are open down the road if you wanna get a 2nd 290/290x on the cheap after the next gen is released.

Also I've read some newer games can take advantage of 3-4GB of vRAM, especially at higher resolutions. You'll be stuck with 2GB on the 285's - xfire doesn't add vRAM together.

Last edited:
Do you plan on gaming, and if so at what resolution? The 290's and the 290x's have 4GB of vram, while a quick look at the 285's show only 2GB. Imo, you are better of with a single card.

Definitely a single card. With how infrequently you upgrade, I think it'll be nice to have less points of failure in your system.

You'll have all the performance you need with a 290X and the vram to support it. Games already do use more than 2. BF4 uses 3.5+ with Mantle.

Which Sapphire are you looking at in particular. If noise is a concern, you'll definitely want to look at the non-reference cooler versions of the 290X. The reference cooler is basically useless (loud and 95C+).

Also I've read some newer games can take advantage of 3-4GB of vRAM, especially at higher resolutions. You'll be stuck with 2GB on the 285's - xfire doesn't add vRAM together.

Oh! :eek: How embarrassing - I should have realized that. Well, better to find out you're ignorant than to remain oblivious. I think that's a game changer, then. If I'm capping out the RAM at 2GB by going dual-card, I don't want that. Aside from any practical reason, I hate feeling I'm wasting my money! I wouldn't want all that high-quality RAM just sitting there.

Do you plan on gaming, and if so at what resolution? The 290's and the 290x's have 4GB of vram, while a quick look at the 285's show only 2GB. Imo, you are better of with a single card.

Yes, I game a little between contracts when I have the time. But it's rare and I like RPG-ish fantasy games like Arkham City (if that's what you call the genre). I'm not much of a gamer but WHEN I do, I like everything to be as good as it can. It's a bit naughty to spend that much for occasional use but I upgrade so rarely, I like my upgrade to be future-proof for a while.

Definitely a single card. With how infrequently you upgrade, I think it'll be nice to have less points of failure in your system.

You'll have all the performance you need with a 290X and the vram to support it. Games already do use more than 2. BF4 uses 3.5+ with Mantle.

Which Sapphire are you looking at in particular. If noise is a concern, you'll definitely want to look at the non-reference cooler versions of the 290X. The reference cooler is basically useless (loud and 95C+).

It's potentially this one: http://www.dabs.com/products/sapphi...PL3.html?refs=469930000-498110000-50758&src=3

But I'm not loyal to any particular brand of AMD card, just that it's an AMD card.

I know there's a sort of new generation starting though. That was one reason I was looking at the 285. How long do you think it will be before the new higher end refresh will start? I can certainly wait a month if need be.

Thanks to all for the replies! Really helpful!

I'd second everyone here and woukd advice a single more powerful GP up like the 290 or 290x.

As said, grab on did with a good aftermarket cooler (like the Sapphire tri-x).

Hawaii-based 290 and 290x are still just 9mos - 1 year old. If I had to guess, I'd say we'll see high-end, Tonga-based GPUS (390, 390x?) in 6 months?

I wouldn't hesitate to pick up a 290 or 290x now, despite the 285 being out (though I do think it's worth looking at used prices as you can find used 290(x)s for almost half of what they go for new - and not all of them were used for mining :)).

The vapor-x is a good option. Other great performers are the PCS+ and Tri-X.

Back