• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I'd like to join the bench team, but.....

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Daddyjaxx

Almost all of the CPU tests don't allow Windows 8. Is it because of the LiveBoost in Win8? I dropped almost 3 minutes off my Prime 32m just by upgrading from Win7 to Win8. This CPU is probably going to be the worst overclockable Intel CPU I have had since before Core 2 Duo. I can't gent even 4.3 @ 1.35. If I set CPU volts on auto, it runs 1.35v at stock 4000.

Join the team then ???

everyone has to play on the same field as far as the rules go,

you will be fine. It is not that important, it is for fun

Gaming is cool but does not compare, it is the most fun you can have with Hardware IMO

Ahh the memories ........... frying you first gpu, the endless dollars spent, frustration , Rage, shorting out your motherboard, how could one ask for more

Just kidding, have fun with it bro ........... :thup:

there is an issue with the real time clock on windows 8 and can be manipulated. so they just disallow windows 8 as a platform, cept for specific benches. if you have alaptop that is not overclockable they will allow for win8 though

Not sounding like I want to cheat or anything or I wouldn't ask. How do they know what OS you have? The screenshots they ask for don't show it.

some benches will only result with certain numbers. and they can tell via that on some. its not worth calling yourself into question with the moderators at hwbot. just play it safe and work your way up on scores. alot funner when you can learn what benches like what os, then set everything up and open that can of whoop-a**

Let's face it, some 14 year old hacker could hack Windows 7 to show faster scores. :) I know what you mean. Losing 3 minutes off of Super PI 32m just changing OS's would show and that's not cheating. I guess if I want to bench, I have to go back to Win7. It's no big deal. That's what Acronis is good for. :) I know my 4830 is good for at least 4.8 @ 1.35, but I don't want to lose PCIE 3.0. This 4960 is an utter dud. I want my 2600K @ 5.0 back. Whoever I sold it to here, can you give it back to me? :)

You're going to want a seperate drive for benching anyhow. I've borked 3 OS's in the last 3 weeks. It's pretty common when you're really pushing the pee out of you rigs. LOL

I used to keep a 500gb seagate drive just to throw bench os's on. bigenough to fix xp, vist and win7 on a single drive. load up the benches and go to town

if you are wanting to run superpi, I recommend finding a way to get xp or server 2003 loaded up. can score like crazy without too big of a fight

Ahh the memories ........... frying you first gpu, the endless dollars spent, frustration , Rage, shorting out your motherboard, how could one ask for more

Just kidding, have fun with it bro ........... :thup:

No you aren't, but starting to bench will make you keep benching, and pushing for more, despite the craziness. lol

I was an avid bencher before 3d mark 2001. and still bench new hardware when I get it. sadly, I was late to the team on gathering boints as I never knew of hwbot for along time

I don't have any available drives. I sold all my extras on Flea Bay. I do have extra Win7 versions that have never been activated. I guess I need to pickup a cheap drive to bench with. I have Win8 semi looking like Win7 now. I don't want to upset C6 the way he pushes Win8. Had to wipe out my name on the documents. I have to remain anonymous. :)

Win81.jpg

Last edited:
You'll also need a copy of Vista & XP too (& HHDs for each) because different benches have advantages with different OSs. ;)

I still miss being active on the team, but just don't have the time that I used to have for benching. Good times! :D

That'll work for 30 days. I actually have a couple unregistered Win7 and my Vista hasn't been used in so many years, I'm sure it's open now for activation. It's only an upgrade. All of my Win 7 are OEM Pro. I can use the trick of installing it twice to get past that for Vista.

You're going to want a seperate drive for benching anyhow. I've borked 3 OS's in the last 3 weeks. It's pretty common when you're really pushing the pee out of you rigs. LOL

+1

I overclocked my memory once... and killed my daily driver's OS :p
I will admit, it is incredibly fun to push hardware like that. :thup:

+1

I overclocked my memory once... and killed my daily driver's OS :p
I will admit, it is incredibly fun to push hardware like that. :thup:

True, true. But you don't wanna kill a daily driver. That's why I have a stack of small drives. I have 3 36gb raptors, and 3 74gb raptors - all I got 2nd hand and used for benching drives at some point. Now it makes sence to use small SSDs for the same purpose.

The 3 74gb drives used to be in a raid5 array and they were stupid fast at the time. Great gaming OS and game array.

True, true. But you don't wanna kill a daily driver. That's why I have a stack of small drives. I have 3 36gb raptors, and 3 74gb raptors - all I got 2nd hand and used for benching drives at some point. Now it makes sence to use small SSDs for the same purpose.

The 3 74gb drives used to be in a raid5 array and they were stupid fast at the time. Great gaming OS and game array.

lol yup. I learnt my lesson the hard way :chair:

Especially if you push the Bclk without a strap or even with the strap exceeding the strap. You push too far, bye bye SATA data. :)

This is how it starts, in a year your rig will look like this ............ :rofl:

Attachments

• Action Pic.jpg
    Action Pic.jpg
    120.9 KB · Views: 128
Back