• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

GTX 780 6gb or 980 4gb for video editing build?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bobjackson

Registered
Hi everyone,

I have all of my parts sitting here waiting for a GPU. I was originally going to get an EVGA GTX 780 6gb, but it was suggested I wait to see what happened with the 980. Now that it is pretty much out, I'm not sure which to go with (assuming they are close to the same price).

I plan on running 2 or 3 monitors over 1080p (maybe 1440), and I will be doing quite a bit of video editing in Davinci Resolve and Premiere Pro, with some photo work in Photoshop. I have an i7-5930k, ASUS X99 deluxe, 32gb ram and 2 SSDs.

I read everywhere that more CUDA cores is better for video work, and 780 has more of them, but I'm not sure if the difference will be noticeable. Also, the 780's 6gb should lead to better performance on multiple monitors, I think. But the 980 is supposed to run cooler and quieter, but it has lower specs in almost every area.

I'm really stuck on which one to go with.

If anyone has experience with these types of programs and similar cards (obviously not the 980, but people with more experience than me might be able to better translate the 980's specs into possible real world performance) could you give me some advice on which to buy?

Thank you very much.

I will definitely wait for the 980, just to see what the reviews in the first few days report. But my main concern is about the CUDA cores, which I have read as being very important to performance. And if 4gb is enough for 4k, does that mean it's good for 3x1440p?

Dont think it matters, if you really needed the cutting edge performance you would be using a Quadro right? I dont know much about the subject.

Newest = more future proof

I see some games using 3gb now, i doubt they will use 6gb in next years

Quadros are great, but also a lot more expensive. The GTX 970 is considered the best value available right now. For more double precision performance (specialty scientific applications), go with Titans.

Back