• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Are my SSD speeds good

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mikesamo

I bought a kingston v300 120 gb ssd and benchmarked both my ssd and my old wd 7200 rpm drive . here are the results .
SSD (mb/s)
seq read 434.1 . seq write 168.5
512K read 378.9 . 512k write 167.2
4K read 20.24 . 4K write 107.7
4k QD32 read 95.05 . 4k QD32 write 164.3
HDD
seq read 89.56 . seq write 87.94
512k read 24.96 . 512k write 41.83
4k read 0.256 . 4k write 0.881
4kq32 read 0.687 . 4kq32 write 0.927
Is my SSD good ?

They seem a bit under what the reviews say. Are you using a 6Gbps sata cable? Plugged into the 6Gbps port of the motherboard? You likely won't "feel" the difference, but if you're after just benchmarks, then you could probably improve these with either the right cable/port configuration or maybe a different firmware?

I'm not sure :/ how do I find out
Update . Yeag I'm using a 6 g cable. I believe all the ports on my board are 6g as well

Which motherboard is it?

It's likely just a test difference or the firmware on the drive or something like that. The difference in real-world performance is negligible. I wouldn't worry about it. Feels faster than the HDD, right? :)

Asus Rog maximus hero . And yes
Everything feels so much faster. Anything I could do to reach advertised speeds

You could check what firmware is running on it and compare it to what was running on the reviewed drives. If anything, though, I would just go with the latest firmware. It might even require that you reformat the drive if you upgrade the firmware (I haven't done it in a while, so can't remember), so it probably isn't worth the trouble.

There are a lot of things that could contribute (CPU/ram speeds, what's installed/running on the system, which benchmark was run, version of benchmark run) to the discrepancy. I wouldn't be concerned.

Alright. I'm running i7 4770k clocked at 4.2 and the ram is on default 1600 . I guess it is what it is

Just a question. I have os installed on both storage devices. I already set the ssd as my primary boot device through bios. But still when I power up the computer it gives me 2 windows 7 options. Top one is ssd and bottom is hdd . How do I skip this and go straight to the os without removing the os on the hdd

They seem a bit under what the reviews say. Are you using a 6Gbps sata cable? Plugged into the 6Gbps port of the motherboard? You likely won't "feel" the difference, but if you're after just benchmarks, then you could probably improve these with either the right cable/port configuration or maybe a different firmware?

Just FYI there is no official 6Gbps SATA cables. You can use the first gen cables on current drives and they still work the same. They are just fancier with multiple colors and new connector types, like 90degree connectors. You might also check to see if you have cached turned on the SSD in the hardware settings in windows. If it isn't turned on it can sometimes cause issues with the drive running a lot slower in benchmarks at least.

Back