• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Upgrade time! Help me plan an X99 build?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Theocnoob

Hello fellow overclockers.

The time has come to do my once-every-three-years upgrade. I will be putting aside approximately $800 Canadian per month for the next 3 to 4 months and purchasing the system in one go in December or January. I realize new parts will be coming out but you'll see when I lay out what I want that this won't impact the final price of the system very much, so planning it now will be helpful so I know exactly how much and how long to save up.

Projected use of new system:
1: flaunting to my friends that I have a new system
2: gaming
3: mild video editing
4: microsoft office
5: file server to rest of home for video/audio downloads

First, my current system:

i7 2600K
Maximus IV Extreme P67
GTX 580
8GB DDR3 1600
Corsair HX850
Corsair 500R
Noctua NHD14
WD Velociraptor 150
Intel SSD 510 120

What I want:

i7 5820K
(Suggest me an X99 motherboard with excellent air/aio OC potential and good feature set)
GTX 780 equivalent (I assume a Maxwell based 780 replacement will be available in 3 to 4 months)
16GB DDR4 (4x4)
(Suggest me a gold rated PSU for 1 GPU)
Corsair 760T (or suggest a better/different case)
1-2TB Mechanical drive
240-512GB SSD (or possibly just a 1TB SSD and no mechanical)
Cooling: Would like to go AIO this time. Don't want something as garish and ugly as an H220X but would like to keep the quality high.
other: would like to go with color-coordinated cables this time as the case has a massive side window. Some case lighting would also be enjoyable as long as it doesn't break the bank.

I initially had planned to do an SFF (ITX) setup for my next build, however, given the current availability of parts and the fact that Z97 limits me in terms of PCIE slots, core count, SATA ports, USB3 ports, and only supports DDR3, I have decided that for a TRUE meaningful upgrade vs what I have now, an ATX X99 setup is in order.

Let's make this a long thread. I want to make this my most well-researched setup ever.

X99 Extreme6
GTX 980
EVGA SuperNova G2 750W or 850W (overkill, but the price/quality/warranty can't be beaten)
1TB 840 EVO

Questions/concerns:
- For the AIO, is noise level a concern? Any specific decibel goal? It simply won't be as quiet as something like the NH-D14/NH-D15.
- The 5820K is limited on PCIe lanes compared to the 5930K/5960X. This can be a concern if going SLI later.
- With your usage/limitations listed, why not wait for Broadwell?

The Extreme 6 is a nice choice, However I find it impossible to recommend. With the OC Formula only being $ 50.00 more in the scope of an x99 build IMO leaves no room for the Extreme 6 on this particular platform at it's current price point, thinking they need to get to $ 239.99 with this board.

Also based on your sig looks like you generally go with high end boards.

Memory is the tough nut to crack on this platform as I am thinking we will see 4000 Mhz sticks in a year

but the Cas15 3000 Mhz G.skill kits seems to be a solid choice

This could be a solid choice for the OS ,

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...1&cm_re=PPSSXTXPZMDGRI-_-20-147-366-_-Product

Spinner storage I always liked the WD Blacks , personally have had great luck with them

Like the power ATM is using

Video, well I would see what retail units bring to the table then make a decision if 780TI's at a discounted price make sense or if the 980 is that much better

Can you fit a 280 AIO? the Kraken is a nice unit along with the H110

My take: Let's talk when you are ready to buy... 3/4 months is a long way away with a lot of new parts coming out in that time.

That said, both above offered solid solutions... though, I would imagine the Ex6 is a good choice, however I haven't seen a review on the thing to make that determination personally... you guys did?

No I have not personally, Have a friend who has been using the OC Formula for a while now and claims it to be very strong.
That and the history of the OC Formula line is very strong as well. Obviously this is in a benching arena, But if it is good for that then I have to think it would exceed all expectations with an ambient solution, You also get a great deal of memory profiles that historically actually work with retail kits. That said one could say over kill for a daily grinder, but at it's price point I call it a bargain. Make no mistake I think the Extreme 6 will be strong as well and would be a good choice, but have no bases for that conclusion other than past products. My problem is it is only $ 50.00 cheaper. think they need to get it $ 80.00 under the flagship to be considered a good value.

Agree though I have no personal

Sorry witchy, I meant the ex6 only...the OCF I would bet my life on is solid, LOL! I agree the price should be a hair lower than what it is (even though I haven't touched it either, LOL!).

It seems like you could reuse the PSU, case, and maybe even the thermal setup. Those prebuilt watercooling kits out there are not worth it.

Me too. Most of the dual radded ones perform better than the highest air coolers and tend to be as quiet... Id like to see a NHD-14 take a 4.6GHz 4930K versus my Kraken X60... :)

ED- I agree that re-posting in 3-4 months and getting everything setup then will be better and I do plan to make a new thread at that time. The purpose of this thread was to approximately calculate how much money I will need to save up in order to make this new PC happen. That was the goal of this thread. If we assume the new GTX 980 will launch at $650 US (and come down to $500 within 6 months at the most), that needs to be factored in, as does the cost of various other components. Obviously many things will likely price shift in 4 months. The CPU likely won't, but the SSD, HDD, case, GPU, MOBO, etc very well might. Again, the idea here was to approximate, within maybe $300, how much $$$ I need to put together here.

Also, I am aware that the 5820K only supports 28(?)PCIE 3.0 lanes. I'm ok with that. I've never gone dual GPU and I don't see myself doing it this generation either. I have no desire to play on more than 1 screen, and the screen I currently have is 1080P. I do plan on going 1440P shortly after I get this new system (saving even more money for it), but that will be as high-res as I will be going.

As for re-using parts, I do not wish to do that. I want to keep my current system intact so that I can sell it to a friend who needs a decent computer. I still have my Core 2 duo system, fully assembled in storage, awaiting a similar fate.

Last edited:
Lots of assumptions...which is why I say start then. Neat exercise, just not sure you will get what you want out of THIS thread NOW.

GL! :)

From what I've seen, may be good to hold off and wait for motherboards to be tested more. Lots of problems with boards being tested out now unfortunately.

Every new chipset has its issues. That said, there is seemingly no reason to wait in my opinion.

What major issues across the entire chipset have you seen that would make you want to she away from it. Im reviewing the platform now and so far (with one board) it worked GREAT out of the box (which is surprising).

Every new chipset has its issues. That said, there is seemingly no reason to wait in my opinion.

What major issues across the entire chipset have you seen that would make you want to she away from it. Im reviewing the platform now and so far (with one board) it worked GREAT out of the box (which is surprising).

Because reasons. Also, DDR4 may come down in price once it "settles". If he's ready to jump in right now, power to him. I will be waiting personally before I jump into a 5820k.

http://www.legitreviews.com/intel-x99-motherboard-goes-up-in-smoke-for-reasons-unknown_150008
https://www.gear****z.com/board/music-computers/953163-x99-haswell-e-failure-s.html
http://beta.slashdot.org/story/206891
http://www.hitechreview.com/it-products/pc/failures-x99-based-motherboards-reported-online/48449/

This pretty much sums it up for me personally. I will be going x99 myself, just.. not right now. Just making OP aware that there have been some issues, and not a whole bunch of testing yet. I am NOT saying "it will explode", Im saying "theres a slight risk". For me, dropping 2000$ on a pc that can go out because of a simple failure is just unacceptable.

Because reasons. Also, DDR4 may come down in price once it "settles". If he's ready to jump in right now, power to him. I will be waiting personally before I jump into a 5820k.

http://www.legitreviews.com/intel-x99-motherboard-goes-up-in-smoke-for-reasons-unknown_150008
https://www.gear****z.com/board/music-computers/953163-x99-haswell-e-failure-s.html
http://beta.slashdot.org/story/206891
http://www.hitechreview.com/it-products/pc/failures-x99-based-motherboards-reported-online/48449/

This pretty much sums it up for me personally. I will be going x99 myself, just.. not right now. Just making OP aware that there have been some issues, and not a whole bunch of testing yet. I am NOT saying "it will explode", Im saying "theres a slight risk". For me, dropping 2000$ on a pc that can go out because of a simple failure is just unacceptable.
1st link - potential PSU issue? Something with firmware IIRC?
2nd link -blocked??????
3rd link - spawned off the first
4th link - spawned off the first

So a couple issues happened, you list that issue and then articles that refer to the same issue as different issues? Que? Are you able to

There is a slight risk for any computer being new chipsets or established. I hear ya, but just don't think its even worth the warning (that specific warning of it blowing up) considering that first issue was likely releated to a PSU. I just wrapped up the MSI Gaming 9 review and it actually had ZERO issues I ran into. That isn't to say others won't, but... just saying.

That said, things do happen... if we start to see dozens of boards start to this I am on board with you. Early adopters tend to know that there are bugs like this. Those that can work through them with the vendors do, those that care not to and wait, like you, do not. Just a matter of choice. However being on the platform, for a short time, I see no reason to stay away from it unless a review notes an issue with a specific board you are buying. Go get em kiddo! :)

Last edited:
1st link - potential PSU issue? Something with firmware IIRC?
2nd link -blocked??????
3rd link - spawned off the first
4th link - spawned off the first

So a couple issues happened, you list that issue and then articles that refer to the same issue as different issues? Que? Are you able to

There is a slight risk for any computer being new chipsets or established. I hear ya, but just don't think its even worth the warning (that specific warning of it blowing up) considering that first issue was likely releated to a PSU. I just wrapped up the MSI Gaming 9 review and it actually had ZERO issues I ran into. That isn't to say others won't, but... just saying.

That said, things do happen... if we start to see dozens of boards start to this I am on board with you. Early adopters tend to know that there are bugs like this. Those that can work through them with the vendors do, those that care not to and wait, like you, do not. Just a matter of choice. However being on the platform, for a short time, I see no reason to stay away from it unless a review notes an issue with a specific board you are buying. Go get em kiddo! :)

Thanks for putting my mind at ease.
What X99 boards look good now in the $250-400 CDN range? I haven't really heard much yet. I don't figure new ATX/EATX boards will be coming out by January will they? The second gen boards are usually several months to a year away for this kind of thing.

Back