• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PSU Voltage

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

gigahater

I pulled my computer apart today to include my Northbridge in the cooling loop. Everything went swimmingly until I tried to power it on.

It just goes on/off on/off repeat repeat. So, I pulled it apart again to do a breadboard bench test. Same result.

Break out the multimeter and checked the 24-pin and the +12v read @ 21v

I'm no dummy, but isn't that too high?

PSU is a Silverstone DA1000 single rail with 80A rating.

That just seems wayyyyy to high. Considering my PC is dead in the water I really want to figure this out. I'm gonna be pretty upset if the PSU is bad all of a sudden and it blew my mobo.

21v on the 12v rail? That's not right. Check the 12v line through the Molex: (Yellow) + Black
I let everything sit overnight. When I got up I tested it all again.

Tested Molex, 24-pin and all other 12v outputs on the PSU. All read 21v

Only voltages that were normal IMO were 3.3v and 5v. Other than that the +12v is still reading 21v. But I'm not complaining. I went through a very mythodical reassembly and everything went well. I am back up and running. Despite the 21v reading. I think it has to do with "no-load"

I am very happy with this PSU. It has been very solid. Of course that's what you expect in the $350+ range.

Thanks for the input. Consider this issue [Solved]

Hmm.... I test power supplies on a regular basis and the 12v lines don't run that high with no load. Have you tested the power supply's 12v line while it's running your pc?

Maybe putting a load on the cpu like P95 and while it's testing check the 12v line again and see what you get.

Very strange that unit with a 21v on the 12v line is running your pc. I would RMA it just to be safe.

Back