• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

display port vs. DVI: what's the difference?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

magellan

What's the advantage to display port vs. DVI? Is display port going to replace DVI?

DisplayPort is the newest display standard. It is not yet known whether HDMI (DVI-D in a smaller connector) or DP will end up winning. Modern GPUs have both so there should be no worries. Additionally, it's possible to convert DP to HDMI but apparently not the reverse.

So does display port offer higher bandwidth than DVI-I? That's what I seemed to get from the article.
I guess that would make display port a better thing for high refresh rate, high resolution gaming?
Is the audio transfer component of display port included in contemporary video cards?

So does display port offer higher bandwidth than DVI-I? That's what I seemed to get from the article.
Yes.

I guess that would make display port a better thing for high refresh rate, high resolution gaming?
Yes. It also can handle MST.

Is the audio transfer component of display port included in contemporary video cards?
Audio is an option on DisplayPort, but I do not believe it is included on GPU's.

Replies in red.

My old Lenovo T410 (Nvidia NVS 3100M GPU) will do audio through a DP to HDMI adapter. Don't have a native DP display to test with, but given the (lack of) quality I have seen in integrated speakers, why would you want to? I have not heard of a receiver with DP and if there was, gamers don't like the idea of routing video through a receiver due to possible lag.

What I would like to see is an option to use one of the GPU HDMI outputs as an audio only output.

Back