• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Minecraft, is it for me?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Pierre3400

annnnnnd it's gone
Hey guys,

For a loooooooong time now, i have been ignoring Minecraft, i have purposely stayed away from it, since im a lover of graphics.

It has been ages since i found a game where i could let my creativity flow, and notget bored.

SimCity was a hope, but a major fail due to city limits.

Today i started to look into Minecraft.

Can some one tell me, in short, why i should play this game? Can i play it with my friends? (does that bring extra charge?)

You can play with friends(no extra change unless you want to rent a server).

One word Mods!

Mods make the game almost limitless.

Fantasy/RPG mods (Skyrimcraft, Twilight Forrest ,Thaumcraft 3 Ars Magica, DivingRPG so many more)

Post apocalyptic (Fallout(vaulttec), 30 Days After The Apocalypse, Broken world, DayZ)

Player made game modes.

So if i buy the game, and want to play with a buddy, are we in the same world or what? As far as mods go, do the mods need to be installed on the server? on my own game how does that work?

You can host a server on your PC(need to forward posts ext) or open your game to lan and uses a VPN (hamachi, Tunngle and Evolve all work) to play.

if you were logging into the server you need the mods the server uses. Most people use mob packs. FTB http://www.feed-the-beast.com/mod-packs. you could build your own or use premade ones.

I would recommend starting with vanilla to learn the basics. Mods can add hundreds of craftings options and it can be overwhelming.

Sense you said you are really into graphics you may want to check out www.landmarkthegame.com/ I haven't tried it but it may be more of what you are looking for.

Minecraft I have found to be one of the few games I can not get completely bored with after the countless hours I've played. There is really so much you can do in the game and the huge library of mods out there brings endless fun for you and your friends. +1 to what dark said and its all relatively easy to set up and manage.

Try updating your Java
I play on a 1100T and a 7970 @2560x1440 and get 60FPS +

also I would try Skyblock it is a pretty fun play style

I played it with my son for a while... then that was it. While neat, it just didn't seem to be a game that was pointed toward my demographic (adult) and I lost interest pretty quickly.

what are you even talking about?
multiplayer option is ALWAYS there.
a HDMI cord has nothing to do with it!

When you say Java, which Java? Cos its apparently not the same for Chrome as is for Firefox, and IE..?

System Java. It is the same for all browsers since it's a stand-alone program. The browsers just call the main Java program when they run certain tasks. Different browsers may require different releases (versions) of Java, but it's definitely all the same Java.

Really? Is this on your daily gamer? Because you should be getting hundreds of frames per second.

You should install optifine at some point, but the performance problem shouldn't be there at all, honestly.

I think also minecraft itself limits its memory too IIRC. Some launchers allow you to manually set how much of your memory minecraft has access to and that can sometimes be the difference of smooth vs choppy.

I'm the same as you Pierre, I've not tried minecraft. If you're looking for a game with limitless possibilities and is mentally stimulating, I'd suggest Kerbal Space Program. LOTS of user mods out there, very intuitive, very fun.

Back