• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Trouble with M4A89TD PRO/USB

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

lbarstad

Hi, i have a old asus mobo and phenom x6 1075t that had a mild oc at 3.6, then just randomly checking something in the bios, i saw that the oc was gone. Haven't flashed bios or done anything to it, but thats not the problem. The problem is that i can't change the cpu ratio or the bus when i change the ai oc tuner in the bios to manual, when i apparantly could do it before the clock disappeared. Only hw i have changed since i clocked it is the case. I'm fairly new to this oc stuff, so be gentle with me :D. Anyone have a clue what has happened?

My specs are:

Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit SP1

AMD Phenom II X6 1070T
Thuban 45nm Technology

16,0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 668MHz (9-9-9-24)

ASUSTeK Computer INC. M4A89TD PRO USB3 (AM3) 30 °C

SyncMaster (1920x1200@60Hz)
3072MB ATI AMD Radeon HD 7900 Series (XFX Pine Group) 43 °C

111GB Crucial_CT120M500SSD1 ATA Device (SSD)

Thanks

Lars Barstad

Just for sake of clarification, are you saying while in bios you cannot change the values or that after you boot into Windows the values revert?

Just for sake of clarification, are you saying while in bios you cannot change the values or that after you boot into Windows the values revert?

I cannot change the values in bios at all. I'll take a screenshot of it when i get back home.

Lars

The only line item on Manual is the Ai Overclock Tuner. Can you take the other things off of Auto and put them on Manual? Say, for instance, the CPU Ratio? Have you tried using the + and - keys?

These are the things I can change from auto: Dram, NB, HT and the four on the bottom (CPU Load Line Calib, CPU/NB Load line Calib, CPU Spread, PCIE Spread). As the CPU is a locked model, its the CPU Ratio and CPU Bus I had changed to oc it (and the ram), it wasnt any wild, but got it dead stable at 3.6ghz with aprox 1600 on the ram. Then one day I noticed it was back to stock speeds, tried to change it back to oc, then this. Just remembered that I changed my gpu too, if it has anything to do with that?

Lars

CPU Level Up > shows AUTO so most of your changes are not going to work. Since CPU Level Up is sort of a built-in overclock setting, with it indicating AUTO, then most any cpu speed change you make will not take effect. Have you run the Level Up feature from within the AI Suite software? i would try and clear the CMOS and make sure AI Suite is not installed and has LevelUp.exe in effect from within the O/S.
RGone...

CPU Level Up > shows AUTO so most of your changes are not going to work. Since CPU Level Up is sort of a built-in overclock setting, with it indicating AUTO, then most any cpu speed change you make will not take effect. Have you run the Level Up feature from within the AI Suite software? i would try and clear the CMOS and make sure AI Suite is not installed and has LevelUp.exe in effect from within the O/S.
RGone...

"CPU Level UP" ? Don't see that setting in his pics.

Looks like you just need to select the "CPU Bus Frequency" option. "Ai Overclock Tuner" is set to enabled, so you should be set.

Because it's not an FX, I assume the multi is upwards locked. (A.K.A. "CPU Ratio")

Level UP in Auto...

...is why I asked him if he had been using AiSuite software for overclock since something seems to be overriding that "manual" setting you actually refer to. That and clearing the CMOS. Levelup.exe is part of AiSuite and since I 'never' use software to overclock but we have had pelnty of problems with AMD AiSuite, it really makes me wonder and the OP has no idea or has not let us in on what he ran for a long time that was an overclock.
RGone...

Oh, yeah! Duh!

Hey, and thanks for the replies! Seems like you were right, or mostly, Rgone. Cleared cmos, but didn't have aisuite installed, but cleared out the asus folder anyway, and that seemed to work. Didin't use program to oc, used the bus setting. BUT(!!!!) i have two kids that use the computer now and then, so it could be that one of them have touched a program from the dvd bundle :D
Got it working again now!! Thanks for all the help!

One more thing, since you guys know this much better than me :D How much should i be getting out of the cpu, landed at 3.72 ghz stable last night, couldnt get it further up without bsod. Reading all sorts of oc guides on the net, they say that i should set the voltage for the cpu manually, but all i get is some offset stuff?? Where do i go from there? I am quite a noob when it comes to oc'ing, so dont give me a hard time for this question :clap: Still running the cpu voltage on "auto", seems to work on 3.72ghz though.

Lars

Last edited:
Glad to hear you got that sorted out Lars.

Here's a very good PhenomII guide to use for reference. http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=596023
Offset voltage works, you just need to add a bit at a time. For the 1070 @ 3.8 , I would start with 0.1v offset and add from there. The best thing you could do would be run HWMonitor free and P95 blend to see what voltage you are currently using to get to 3.7, this will give you an idea of what you may need for 3.8 If you can post some pics of CPUz main, memory and SPD tabs plus a shot of HWMonitor under load we can give you a hand with the rest. This will give us some idea of what your system is doing currently. to see what voltage you are getting

Glad you seem sorted where you can change values...

...lbarstad U mention you are at 3.72Ghz and honestly, that is a pretty good speed. I have found that at least 200Mhz and more usually for me it takes 300Mhz MORE for me to really notice any real performance difference, provided that Ram is set to correct timings and CPU_NB is clocked enough for any boost doing so would give. After that I seem to see little difference on a 100Mhz clockup. Maybe only in my head but seldom when verifying by benches.

So though the ones who pro-offer help most of the time are died in the wool overclockers, that does not mean all have to be so. Hehehe. Many of us will push up just to run benches so we can say we have done something outrageous for the heck of it. What we most often do not make clear is that our shoot the moon benching speed is not what we run daily. WE have a far more sensible speed that we run for 24/7 use if we have stuff we want to keep. Hehehe

I say all of that to say that many of the Thubans that were not 1090Ts and 1100Ts would struggle to reach the watershed 4.0Ghz that all sort of just had to reach. It took some real trial and error to get the lessser Thubans to run 4.0Ghz and 3.8Ghz was much more the norm. 3.7Ghz, 3.8Ghz and so on is purely up to how much time and effort YOU want to put into going that high. How g00d is the cooling you have? WE don't think you have even said what you are using for CPU cooling, so no idea there.

Again glad you got 'some' overclock back again. That is good to know. Strange things can happen when other's have access to your rig. YMMV.
RGone...ster.

Lars, the with the offset method you are working with entering increments of change rather than the "end result". For instance, if the baseline CPU voltage is 1.2 then to bring it up to 1.25 you would add an offset of .05. The tricky part can be that when you take it off of Auto you may not automatically be on what was the baseline voltage. You may have to enter a fairly large offset amount at the beginning to get it up to baseline before you can start tweaking. As Johan45 said, that's where HWMonitor becomes your friend. Install it before you make any voltage changes and check out what the stock, or baseline voltage is in Windows at idle with that setting on Auto. HWMonitor calls it "vcore".

Some bioses give you the option of using the offset mode or final value mode but yours doesn't seem to.

Back