• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best time to build a new computer between now and 12 months from now?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

glw

Preface: I know that when you wait the current hardware will become cheaper and cheaper and newer and better hardware will be released.

My current setup is:
CPU: AMD Athlon II X4 630 (overclocked, running at 2.8GHz)
Motherboard: BIOSTAR A785G3
Memory: 4GB DDR3
Graphics: GeForce 9800 GTX+
2TB total of WD 7200RPM Hard Drive

Needless to say this setup is feeling slow. I have hit a road block where I really need to upgrade the motherboard in order to use processors that aren't just AM2, and when you get involved in upgrading the motherboard it often signals that you might just need a complete overhaul.

So I have been seeing some deals recently on Intel Core i5s for about $200 and some motherboard + 8GB ram stick bundles and thought with these sales, maybe now is a good time to upgrade? I could put a small SSD in for the OS, use my current hard drives, get a new mobo with 8GB of ram or more and go with an Intel Core i5-4460 Haswell or something, and then when I see a deal on a solid gaming video card throw that into it. FYI -this computer would be intended for gaming.

As I began looking at the hardware trying to figure out what the most current stuff is, what is last generation, etc, I started reading about Skylake. Skylake looks like it promises some great functionality, but it requires a new socket type. So if I upgrade now I wouldn't be able to toss an Skylake CPU in down the road.

Over the course of the next 12 months or so, when is the best time to upgrade? Are the discounts coming now before the newest generation of CPU so now is a great time to pick up last years hardware on the cheap? Should I wait for Skylake since that would really future proof it (I hate being a socket type behind). Are the discounts just going to become greater 3 months from now as we approach the new CPUs that are slated to come out before Skylake (broadwell or something)?

I would appreciate your take on this.

You honestly need to upgrade now. Haswell would be an incredible difference for you. Waiting 6-9 months for Skylake will not be the 5-10% improvement you'll get from it over Haswell. You've waited long enough. Take the plunge :)

Those mobo/ram deals are great, btw. Saving you at least $50-60.

You honestly need to upgrade now. Haswell would be an incredible difference for you. Waiting 6-9 months for Skylake will not be the 5-10% improvement you'll get from it over Haswell. You've waited long enough. Take the plunge :)

Those mobo/ram deals are great, btw. Saving you at least $50-60.

Thanks for the advice. I just don't want to become obsolete by having an old socket type and if Skylake offers wireless displays and stuff that sounds incredible. However being an early adopter with either of those would be way too expensive and I would probably benefit from waiting until the second generation of those processors.

What's your budget for a system build currently?
You'd be fine for a few years by going ahead and building now.

What's your intended usage of the system?
If gaming, what resolution?

Gaming @ 1920x1080 and my budget is 500. 600 if SERIOUS performance gain from extra $100.

Can you list your current case and power supply?
Do you intend to overclock?

Current case is HAF 922 and PSU I have to check. I got it a while ago but if memory serves me it is coolermaster or corsair modular 700W.

Provided the PSU is a corsair (or decent cooler master), I'd go with the mobo ram combo and a 4690k. Should be in the 300-350 range. Then a new 750ti for $125 (if you want to play games at low settings) or a used 280x or 290 for $175-250 (if you want to play at max settings). 280x or 290, new, would put you beyond $600. There are cards in between those two and the 750ti, I just think those are two good bang for your buck options.

Provided the PSU is a corsair (or decent cooler master), I'd go with the mobo ram combo and a 4690k. Should be in the 300-350 range. Then a new 750ti for $125 (if you want to play games at low settings) or a used 280x or 290 for $175-250 (if you want to play at max settings). 280x or 290, new, would put you beyond $600. There are cards in between those two and the 750ti, I just think those are two good bang for your buck options.

The 4690K/board/RAM combo+ a used 280X+ 128GB SSD would run about $625-640. Massive leap over building with a 750Ti, which will not give very impressive (though still decent for the price) gaming performance.

You can bring it well below $600 with the 280X by going with an H97 board such as Gigabyte's G1 sniper H97 ($90 USD) and a 4570/4670 (*non K). That will douse any hopes of overclocking fun though. Keep in mind that if you get the K-SKU chip you'll need a cooler (at least a Hyper 212 ($35))

Back